Sephardic was: Crossroads Faire

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      At 03:46 PM 10/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
      >online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.
      >
      >Regards,
      >Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

      Hey Z, have you looked at these?

      Title: Studies on the history of Portuguese Jews from their expulsion in
      1497 through their dispersion / co-edited by Israel J. Katz and M. Mitchell
      Serels. Published: New York : Sepher-Hermon Press for the American Society
      of Sephardic Studies, 2000. Physical Description: vi, 232 p. : ill., maps ;
      23 cm. Includes: Includes bibliographical references and indexes.

      Title: Jews, Christians, and Muslims in the Mediterranean world after 1492
      / edited by Alisa Meyuhas Ginio. Published: London [England] ; Portland, OR
      : Cass, 1992. Physical Description: 293 p. ; 23 cm. Includes: Includes
      bibliographical references and indexes.

      Title: Spain and the Jews : the Sephardi experience : 1492 and after / Elie
      Kedourie, general editor. Published: New York : Thames and Hudson, 1992.
      Physical Description: 248 p. : ill., maps, ports., ; 26 cm. Includes:
      Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-242) and index.

      Title: Crisis and creativity in the Sephardic world, 1391-1648 / edited by
      Benjamin R. Gampel. Published: New York : Columbia University Press, c1997.
      Physical Description: xvi, 413 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. Includes: Includes
      bibliographical references (p. [301]-395) and index. Contents: Exile and
      expulsion in Jewish history / Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi -- Secular Hebrew
      poetry in fifteenth-century Spain / Raymond P. Scheindlin -- 1492: a house
      divided / Seymour Feldman -- On converso and marrano ethnicity / Thomas F.
      Glick -- Order of the expulsion from Spain: antecedents, causes, and
      textual analysis / Haim Beinart -- Expulsion or integration? the Portuguese
      Jewish problem / Maria José Pimenta Ferro Tavares -- The exiles of 1492 in
      the kingdom of Navarre: a biographical perspective / Benjamin R. Gampel --
      The self-definition of the Sephardic Jews of Western Europe and their
      relation to the alien and the stranger / Yosef Kaplan -- Prototypes of
      leadership in a Sephardic community: Smyrna in the seventeenth century /
      Jacob Barnai ---Sephardic refugees in Ferrara: two notable families /
      Renata Segre -- Encounters between Spanish and Italian Kabbalists in the
      generation of the expulsion / Moshe Idel -- The ultimate end of human life
      in postexpulsion philosophic literature / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- Hebrew
      manuscripts and printed books among the Sephardim before and after the
      expulsion / Menahem Schmelzer -- a converso best-seller: Celestina and her
      foreign offspring / Dwayne E. Carpenter ---Sephardic ceremonial art:
      continuity in the diaspora / Vivian B. Mann.

      And do you read German or Spanish? It's too bad you won't be at my house
      longer when you come to visit. The Rare Book Room here has a Sephardic
      Magilliah scroll.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Matthew Hertz
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
        > I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
        > online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

        Most of the reasearch I have was tidbits gleaned from general "Jews in the
        Middle Ages" books and sites, so I cannot attest to much. The one book I
        have (which may also be online) is "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela."
        If you haven't read this, I'd suggest it (it doesn't have many details,
        but provides a good outline of Jews and their professions from the Iberia
        peninsula to India). I also know that Jewish life was far more fluid
        pre-13th century. They have found coins with arabic words written in
        hebrew in England and there is a lot of evidence of communication between
        the communities across Europe and the Middle East. I'll try and look up
        some sources later tonight. Sorry!

        Matatias
      • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
          Greetings Matatias,

          I've heard of "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela" but I havn't had a
          chance to read it yet. Take a look at my online bibliography
          (www.cyberiosity.com/zadok) and if you know of any other titles
          please let me know.

          Regards,
          Zadok