Re: Event: Crossroads Faire

  • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
      online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

      Regards,
      Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Matthew Hertz <hertz@c...> wrote:
      > Darn it, now I have to grab all that research I have on 12th&13th
      century
      > Spanish Jews. As usual *sigh* we English are completely
      overlooked ;)

    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        At 03:46 PM 10/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
        >online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

        Hey Z, have you looked at these?

        Title: Studies on the history of Portuguese Jews from their expulsion in
        1497 through their dispersion / co-edited by Israel J. Katz and M. Mitchell
        Serels. Published: New York : Sepher-Hermon Press for the American Society
        of Sephardic Studies, 2000. Physical Description: vi, 232 p. : ill., maps ;
        23 cm. Includes: Includes bibliographical references and indexes.

        Title: Jews, Christians, and Muslims in the Mediterranean world after 1492
        / edited by Alisa Meyuhas Ginio. Published: London [England] ; Portland, OR
        : Cass, 1992. Physical Description: 293 p. ; 23 cm. Includes: Includes
        bibliographical references and indexes.

        Title: Spain and the Jews : the Sephardi experience : 1492 and after / Elie
        Kedourie, general editor. Published: New York : Thames and Hudson, 1992.
        Physical Description: 248 p. : ill., maps, ports., ; 26 cm. Includes:
        Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-242) and index.

        Title: Crisis and creativity in the Sephardic world, 1391-1648 / edited by
        Benjamin R. Gampel. Published: New York : Columbia University Press, c1997.
        Physical Description: xvi, 413 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. Includes: Includes
        bibliographical references (p. [301]-395) and index. Contents: Exile and
        expulsion in Jewish history / Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi -- Secular Hebrew
        poetry in fifteenth-century Spain / Raymond P. Scheindlin -- 1492: a house
        divided / Seymour Feldman -- On converso and marrano ethnicity / Thomas F.
        Glick -- Order of the expulsion from Spain: antecedents, causes, and
        textual analysis / Haim Beinart -- Expulsion or integration? the Portuguese
        Jewish problem / Maria José Pimenta Ferro Tavares -- The exiles of 1492 in
        the kingdom of Navarre: a biographical perspective / Benjamin R. Gampel --
        The self-definition of the Sephardic Jews of Western Europe and their
        relation to the alien and the stranger / Yosef Kaplan -- Prototypes of
        leadership in a Sephardic community: Smyrna in the seventeenth century /
        Jacob Barnai ---Sephardic refugees in Ferrara: two notable families /
        Renata Segre -- Encounters between Spanish and Italian Kabbalists in the
        generation of the expulsion / Moshe Idel -- The ultimate end of human life
        in postexpulsion philosophic literature / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- Hebrew
        manuscripts and printed books among the Sephardim before and after the
        expulsion / Menahem Schmelzer -- a converso best-seller: Celestina and her
        foreign offspring / Dwayne E. Carpenter ---Sephardic ceremonial art:
        continuity in the diaspora / Vivian B. Mann.

        And do you read German or Spanish? It's too bad you won't be at my house
        longer when you come to visit. The Rare Book Room here has a Sephardic
        Magilliah scroll.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Matthew Hertz
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
          > I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
          > online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

          Most of the reasearch I have was tidbits gleaned from general "Jews in the
          Middle Ages" books and sites, so I cannot attest to much. The one book I
          have (which may also be online) is "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela."
          If you haven't read this, I'd suggest it (it doesn't have many details,
          but provides a good outline of Jews and their professions from the Iberia
          peninsula to India). I also know that Jewish life was far more fluid
          pre-13th century. They have found coins with arabic words written in
          hebrew in England and there is a lot of evidence of communication between
          the communities across Europe and the Middle East. I'll try and look up
          some sources later tonight. Sorry!

          Matatias
        • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
            Greetings Matatias,

            I've heard of "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela" but I havn't had a
            chance to read it yet. Take a look at my online bibliography
            (www.cyberiosity.com/zadok) and if you know of any other titles
            please let me know.

            Regards,
            Zadok