Re: [Authentic_SCA] Event: Crossroads Faire

  • Matthew Hertz
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      Darn it, now I have to grab all that research I have on 12th&13th century
      Spanish Jews. As usual *sigh* we English are completely overlooked ;)

      Matatias, who may have to go by Matatiyahu for a day.

      On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, ladymorwenna wrote:

      > Greeting all,
      >
      > The Barony of Carolingia has quite a nifty event coming up in March,
      > called the Crossroads Faire. The event announcement can be found here:
      > http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=539
      >
      > The premise is that ambassadors from several times and places have
      > all come to this great fair and set up embassies where visitors can
      > explore their culture.
      > The current embassies planned are:
      > Indian, 13th or 16th c.
      > French, 1550 - 1600
      > Russian, 1500's
      > Spanish, 1000-1200's
      > Viking, 831
      > Italian, 1300's
      > And I heard a rumor for early Irish, if enough people are interested.
      >
      > I'm sending this announcement out so early in case anyone is
      > interested in getting involved with an embassy. The contact people are
      > listed in the event announcement.
      >
      > --Morwenna

    • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
        online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

        Regards,
        Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Matthew Hertz <hertz@c...> wrote:
        > Darn it, now I have to grab all that research I have on 12th&13th
        century
        > Spanish Jews. As usual *sigh* we English are completely
        overlooked ;)

      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
          At 03:46 PM 10/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
          >online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.
          >
          >Regards,
          >Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

          Hey Z, have you looked at these?

          Title: Studies on the history of Portuguese Jews from their expulsion in
          1497 through their dispersion / co-edited by Israel J. Katz and M. Mitchell
          Serels. Published: New York : Sepher-Hermon Press for the American Society
          of Sephardic Studies, 2000. Physical Description: vi, 232 p. : ill., maps ;
          23 cm. Includes: Includes bibliographical references and indexes.

          Title: Jews, Christians, and Muslims in the Mediterranean world after 1492
          / edited by Alisa Meyuhas Ginio. Published: London [England] ; Portland, OR
          : Cass, 1992. Physical Description: 293 p. ; 23 cm. Includes: Includes
          bibliographical references and indexes.

          Title: Spain and the Jews : the Sephardi experience : 1492 and after / Elie
          Kedourie, general editor. Published: New York : Thames and Hudson, 1992.
          Physical Description: 248 p. : ill., maps, ports., ; 26 cm. Includes:
          Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-242) and index.

          Title: Crisis and creativity in the Sephardic world, 1391-1648 / edited by
          Benjamin R. Gampel. Published: New York : Columbia University Press, c1997.
          Physical Description: xvi, 413 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. Includes: Includes
          bibliographical references (p. [301]-395) and index. Contents: Exile and
          expulsion in Jewish history / Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi -- Secular Hebrew
          poetry in fifteenth-century Spain / Raymond P. Scheindlin -- 1492: a house
          divided / Seymour Feldman -- On converso and marrano ethnicity / Thomas F.
          Glick -- Order of the expulsion from Spain: antecedents, causes, and
          textual analysis / Haim Beinart -- Expulsion or integration? the Portuguese
          Jewish problem / Maria José Pimenta Ferro Tavares -- The exiles of 1492 in
          the kingdom of Navarre: a biographical perspective / Benjamin R. Gampel --
          The self-definition of the Sephardic Jews of Western Europe and their
          relation to the alien and the stranger / Yosef Kaplan -- Prototypes of
          leadership in a Sephardic community: Smyrna in the seventeenth century /
          Jacob Barnai ---Sephardic refugees in Ferrara: two notable families /
          Renata Segre -- Encounters between Spanish and Italian Kabbalists in the
          generation of the expulsion / Moshe Idel -- The ultimate end of human life
          in postexpulsion philosophic literature / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- Hebrew
          manuscripts and printed books among the Sephardim before and after the
          expulsion / Menahem Schmelzer -- a converso best-seller: Celestina and her
          foreign offspring / Dwayne E. Carpenter ---Sephardic ceremonial art:
          continuity in the diaspora / Vivian B. Mann.

          And do you read German or Spanish? It's too bad you won't be at my house
          longer when you come to visit. The Rare Book Room here has a Sephardic
          Magilliah scroll.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Matthew Hertz
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
            > I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
            > online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

            Most of the reasearch I have was tidbits gleaned from general "Jews in the
            Middle Ages" books and sites, so I cannot attest to much. The one book I
            have (which may also be online) is "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela."
            If you haven't read this, I'd suggest it (it doesn't have many details,
            but provides a good outline of Jews and their professions from the Iberia
            peninsula to India). I also know that Jewish life was far more fluid
            pre-13th century. They have found coins with arabic words written in
            hebrew in England and there is a lot of evidence of communication between
            the communities across Europe and the Middle East. I'll try and look up
            some sources later tonight. Sorry!

            Matatias
          • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
              Greetings Matatias,

              I've heard of "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela" but I havn't had a
              chance to read it yet. Take a look at my online bibliography
              (www.cyberiosity.com/zadok) and if you know of any other titles
              please let me know.

              Regards,
              Zadok