Re: [Authentic_SCA] Looking for Burgundian...

  • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002

      And there is this site, which has both artwork and construction methods...

      Apollonia
    • Vaire Meondur
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
        > Okay, I am looking for any information I can find on 'Burgundian'
        dress.
        > I'm not entirely sure what period and place (well, I have a guess,
        but
        > want to find some good info) I should be looking at. Any books and
        other
        > resources?
        >
        > I have a person who is interested, so I figure I will try to find
        out
        > before next Garb Night so that I can be of some help.
        >
        > -Ii

        Greetings!

        http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/gks1612/002u-en.htm shows a typical
        Burgundian style.

        http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg shows
        a high court style.

        Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
        1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books are
        at home, I'll look up the name tonight.) From Burgundy it spread all
        over the North-Western Europe including Scandinavia and England. The
        best pictorial sources for the style are illuminated manuscripts and
        Netherlandish paintings from the period.

        The best source on construction on the web is:
        http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/BurgundianCostume.pdf

        A late (1480's) variation of the style:
        http://members.aol.com/noramunro/Wardrobe/burgundy.htm

        Megge of Caerleon's Burgundian. An earlier (1450's) style:
        http://www.antir.com/meghan/burgundian.html

        Also go to Web Gallery of Art
        http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/index.html and do searches on timeline 1401-
        1450 and 1451-1500 and Flemish school. That gives you the whole
        development of the style.

        J.P. Getty Museum
        http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c220.html has
        some good images from manuscripts.

        The Royal Library in Copenhagen
        http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/index-en.htm has also some good stuff.

        The National Library of the Netherlands is an absolute treasure
        trove:
        http://www.kb.nl/kb/manuscripts/search/index.html

        The Yahoo group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/15thCenturyEurope/ has lots of good
        pictures of style variations in Photos.

        I've put a couple of pictures of my 1470's dress to this group's
        Photos, Anneke's directory. If you have any questions about the
        construction of the style (or any questions about the style) I'll do
        my best to answer them.

        HTH

        Anneke Lyffland, a 15th century girl
        -~*~-
        Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith
      • Vaire Meondur
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Vaire Meondur" <Anneke@C...> wrote:
          > Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
          > 1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books
          are
          > at home, I'll look up the name tonight.)

          Philip the Good and Isabella of Portugal, Duke and Duchess of
          Burgundy were the ones.

          Anneke Lyffland
          -~*~-
          Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith