good source for medieval rounds

  • Melaena
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
      So I had to buy this book for school (a textbook, but you could probably
      order it anywhere) called 150 Rounds for Singing, ed Balkovac and Johnson.
      There are a ton of medieval rounds in there, and some very pretty mundane
      rounds. NOT that I am endorsing mundane rounds in the SCA! Just that you
      might have use for them, ie kids, classes, whatever.

      My plan for the next couple of months is to get all these rounds in one
      place and do a Staples run for my barony. Like Katherine, I will not be
      mailing these out however; heck, it's so easy to compile your own.

      Trivia for the day: Three Blind Mice is apparently a period round.
      Hands, everyone that knew that! I didn't.

      Margareta vanden Velde
      Music Ed. grad student and freak

      Gules, three sparks inverted and a bordure engrailed Or.
    • Kirrily Robert
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
        Melaena wrote:
        > Trivia for the day: Three Blind Mice is apparently a period round.
        > Hands, everyone that knew that! I didn't.

        *raises her hand*

        It's quite a different tune to the one we know today, though.

        I'm running a class on rounds for the Known World Bardic and Cooks
        Symposium in a few weeks... I just put my class notes online at
        http://infotrope.net/sca/music/rounds.html if anyone's interested.

        Yours,

        Katherine

        katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
      • marshamclean@rogers.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
            Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
            book.

            The words are slightly different.

            Margareta

            > > Trivia for the day: Three Blind Mice is apparently a period round.
            > > Hands, everyone that knew that! I didn't.
            >
            > *raises her hand*
            >
            > It's quite a different tune to the one we know today, though.
            >
            > I'm running a class on rounds for the Known World Bardic and Cooks
            > Symposium in a few weeks... I just put my class notes online at
            > http://infotrope.net/sca/music/rounds.html if anyone's interested.
            >
            > Yours,
            >
            > Katherine
            >
            > --
            > Lady Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
            > katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
            > Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere
            > "The rose is red, the leaves are grene, God save Elizabeth our Queene"

          • Carolle M Cox
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
              You may be the Gentle i'm looking for! Searching for honest to goodness
              Medieval Italian (Venetian) cds. Also some drumming ones. Anything ring a
              bell? Your notes are wonderful, btw. Now i'm sorrier than ever than i
              cannot attend but one 'big' event a year . . . .

              Gerita

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Kirrily Robert
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
                In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
                > Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
                > book.
                >
                > The words are slightly different.

                Here it is in Ravenscroft's Deuteromelia, 1609:
                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/deuteromelia/deut_20small.gif
                (you have to scroll down a bit to get to it)

                It has elements of the same tune, but it's not the same tune, if you
                know what I mean.

                Is that the same version you have?

                Yours,

                Katherine

                katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
              • Greg Lindahl
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
                  On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:36:29PM -0500, Melaena wrote:

                  > Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
                  > book.

                  Margareta,

                  I'd be pretty surprised if you actually sing the original tune today.

                  You can hear me singing it with myself at:

                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/songbook/

                  -- Gregory Blount
                • Talia Margherita
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
                    I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.

                    Talia
                  • rose@santiagosmagic.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
                      It depends on what kind of masks you want to make. Theatrical masks,
                      especially for the chorus, were usually made of cardboard or papier mache.
                      They had to be produced quickly, cheaply and in bulk. Fabric and felt masks
                      were also common.

                      Leather masks are more durable, and more difficult to produce. They're not
                      disposable, so they wouldn't invest the time and money into making one that
                      wasn't going to be worn frequently, i.e., for commedia performances.

                      Unfortunately, the big, flashy, sequined and feathered Mardi Gras confections
                      don't start showing up until the mid- to late 17th century.

                      The problem is you're going to find lots and lots of references to masks in
                      theater and ritual, and plenty of laws banning them. In certain times and
                      locations, it was illegal to wear a mask around Christmas, because (supposedly)
                      the anonymity increased criminal activity. So while you'll be able to find
                      mention of masks, there is really very little pictoral evidence to know what
                      the masks looked like or how they were made, or even written descriptions.
                      Most of the surviving masks from our period are ritual items -- animal totems
                      and grotesques. There is one slightly-post period Arlecchino mask still in
                      existence.

                      To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern European masks,
                      you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and usually an animal or
                      monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern European, you're
                      looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.

                      Let me know if I can be more help,
                      Rose

                      Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:

                      > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a
                      > documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Talia

                      -=-=-=-

                      food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
                    • Melaena
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                        This is exactly the same version I have.

                        Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                        learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
                        constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".

                        Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
                        today.

                        Margareta

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                          Hi.......

                          I think you might have me confused with someone else. Hope you find her!

                          Margareta vanden Velde
                          Montengarde, Avacal, An Tir

                          formerly of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia

                          formerly of Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere

                          > You may be the Gentle i'm looking for! Searching for honest to goodness
                          > Medieval Italian (Venetian) cds. Also some drumming ones. Anything ring
                          > bell? Your notes are wonderful, btw. Now i'm sorrier than ever than i
                          > cannot attend but one 'big' event a year . . . .
                          >
                          > Gerita

                        • Kirrily Robert
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                            Margareta wrote:
                            > This is exactly the same version I have.
                            >
                            > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                            > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
                            > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
                            >
                            > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
                            > today.

                            Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:

                            Three blind mice, three blind mice
                            See how they run, see how they run
                            They all ran up to the farmer's wife
                            She cut off their tails with a carving knife
                            Did you ever see such a thing in your life
                            As three blind mice

                            I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                              Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                              learned was almost the same.

                              Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                              Margareta

                              > > This is exactly the same version I have.
                              > >
                              > > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                              > > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my
                              opinion,
                              > > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
                              > >
                              > > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk
                              music
                              > > today.
                              >
                              > Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:
                              >
                              > Three blind mice, three blind mice
                              > See how they run, see how they run
                              > They all ran up to the farmer's wife
                              > She cut off their tails with a carving knife
                              > Did you ever see such a thing in your life
                              > As three blind mice
                              >
                              > I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!
                              >
                              > Yours,
                              >
                              > Katherine
                              >
                              > --
                              > Lady Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
                              > katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
                              > Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere
                              > "The rose is red, the leaves are grene, God save Elizabeth our Queene"

                            • Cindy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002

                                I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                                children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                                some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                                there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                                younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                                last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                                so I don't know how much space we will have.

                                Adelheid
                              • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                  That's the one I learned, too. Really rather gruesome, isn't it?

                                  Laurensa

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                    I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at events.
                                    I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could participate!

                                    Laurensa
                                    > > To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern
                                    > > European masks,
                                    > > you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and
                                    > > usually an animal or
                                    > > monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern
                                    > > European, you're
                                    > > looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.
                                    > >
                                    > > Let me know if I can be more help,
                                    > > Rose
                                    > >

                                    > > Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:
                                    > >
                                    > > > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if
                                    > > papier-mache is
                                    > > > a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Talia
                                    > > >

                                    > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                                    > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                                    > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                                    > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                                    > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                                    > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                                    > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                                    >
                                    > Adelheid

                                  • Kirrily Robert
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                      In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
                                      > Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                                      > learned was almost the same.
                                      >
                                      > Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                                      Uh, they don't fit together as I read it... but perhaps I'm just being
                                      thick. Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                                      we?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                        You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                                        have a whole lot of room.

                                        I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                                        mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                                        little bottles of Elmers Glue. You could try doing papier mache or plaster
                                        bandage, but they're both messy and there'd be no guarantee the masks would be
                                        dry and wearable by evening.

                                        We did this as an all-day workshop at kingdom A&S this summer, and just charged
                                        everybody $2 to come in and make up their own mask. It was such a hit, that we
                                        were cutting extra mask blanks out of paper plates just to have enough to go
                                        around.

                                        I have also found some references to period masks made of buckram, but so far I
                                        haven't had good results when I've tried it. More experimentation is required.

                                        Rose

                                        Quoting Cindy <crma@...>:
                                        > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                                        > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                                        > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                                        > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                                        > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                                        > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                                        > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                                        >
                                        > Adelheid

                                        -=-=-=-

                                        food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
                                      • Jenn Ridley
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                          On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:02:28 -0700, rose@... wrote:

                                          >You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                                          >have a whole lot of room.
                                          >
                                          >I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                                          >mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                                          >little bottles of Elmers Glue.

                                          If you're going to use the plastic mask blanks, don't use Elmer's.
                                          Use a craft glue (JoAnn's makes one, Aleene's Tacky glue is another).
                                          Elmer's is fine for paper, but it doesn't have enough tack to *hold*
                                          things onto a plastic mask....

                                          jenn
                                          --
                                          Jenn Ridley
                                          jridley@...
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Kirrily Robert <skud@i...> wrote:
                                            > Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                                            > we?

                                            Just wanted to mention that the modern tune for "Three Blind Mice"
                                            was used as theme music for the Three Stooges. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

                                            Jehanne
                                          • borderlands15213
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                              Laurensa,
                                              Hasn't your kingdom, which for some reason sticks in my mind as being
                                              East (sorry if I've got that wrong!), a Children's Ministry? Your
                                              Kingdom Minister of Children should be able to give you some info, or
                                              refer you to your regional minister, no?
                                              I vaguely, dimly recall a request being made at local meetings for
                                              gentles to contribute shoe boxes, which were to be used as bricks or
                                              stones to make a castle or fort (to my local MoC: ***really*** sorry
                                              if I'm misremembering!! Forgive me!) during one event. Mmm, think
                                              they had to be painted, or covered in paper or something. I more
                                              clearly recall working with children at one demo, where they were
                                              able to make hand puppets or small dolls, dressing them (very, very
                                              approximately, believe me, usually gluing the pieces of "clothing" on
                                              with Elmer's *school* glue or a fabric glue) in more or less 'period'
                                              styles. One young lady did me the honor of dressing her little
                                              poppet in her interpretation of my garb. Sorry I can't recall how
                                              the heads were made, but I seem to remember they were just a piece of
                                              cloth stuffed with fabric scraps and tied off, wrapping the cord to
                                              make a neck.
                                              I very clearly recall being at Red Dragon, an annual event in
                                              Tirnewydd here in the Middle, when the children made a dragon, like
                                              the Chinese dragons seen at Chinese New Year's celebrations. This
                                              dragon was red, of course, and the kids got under its body and
                                              paraded it all around the site, with drums and cymbals going
                                              before.... I hope they had fun with it, because it was great for the
                                              adults who were watching!
                                              I know our own local Minister of Children is on list, and I'm
                                              guessing isn't the only MoC here, so perhaps one of those individuals
                                              who has had lots of good experiences in planning and directing
                                              Children's Activities, will be kind enough to share some suggestions,
                                              especially more meritorious ones....

                                              Yseult

                                              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Dianne and Greg Stucki" <goofy1@s...>

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                                Oops, sorry! Apologies to the list if the activities recalled aren't
                                                correct for period! But the kids *did* seem to have had a good time
                                                from what I could see.

                                                wrote:
                                                > I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at
                                                events.
                                                > I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could
                                                participate!

                                                > Laurensa

                                                <<<snipped original message and earlier replies>>>