Re: Linen

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 1, 2002
      OK, I am not visiting the linen ladies at the mo.

      But if you phone them and find out they have sheets in stock, mail me
      and I'll see what I can do.

      Lisa

      St. Columba's Doo'cot
      352, Leith Walk
      Edinburgh Midlothian EH6 5BR
      Business Type: CHARITY SHOPS
      Tel: 0131 555 1526

    • faena0216
      Message 46 of 46 , May 24, 2004
        Miriel wrote:
        > Can dye on linen be 'set'? I know leather dyes are set with
        shene,
        > butI was wondering about dyes for fabrics...

        Dye is 'set' when the dyeing process is done. Linen is 'mordanted'
        with alum and tannin for natural dyes. This is done usually before
        the dye in introduced.

        With modern chemical dyes, the cloth is treated with (usually but not
        always) washing soda before dyeing, and washing soda may also be
        called for in the dye activation in the dyepot. Here, too, this is
        done before and during the dye process.

        Nancy