Looking for Burgundian...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
      Okay, I am looking for any information I can find on 'Burgundian' dress.
      I'm not entirely sure what period and place (well, I have a guess, but
      want to find some good info) I should be looking at. Any books and other
      resources?

      I have a person who is interested, so I figure I will try to find out
      before next Garb Night so that I can be of some help.

      -Ii
    • Generys ferch Ednuyed
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
        Well, you can always look at the photos in the 15 century group on
        yahoo...it's named "15thCenturyEurope".

        Generys
        > Okay, I am looking for any information I can find on 'Burgundian' dress.
        > I'm not entirely sure what period and place (well, I have a guess, but
        > want to find some good info) I should be looking at. Any books and other
        > resources?
        >
        > I have a person who is interested, so I figure I will try to find out
        > before next Garb Night so that I can be of some help.
        >
        > -Ii

      • elizabeth marshak
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
          Greetings

          Here's a link to a wonderful article from Mistress Corisander Seathwaite about
          how to construct both a Burgundian gown and a Houpelande

          <http://www.james-gang.org/greydove/docs/houpburg.pdf>

          Hope it helps
          Elizabeth Annora Dernelof
          On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:25:02 -0800 (AKDT) Ii Saburou
          <logan@...> wrote:

          > Okay, I am looking for any information I can
          > find on 'Burgundian' dress.�
          > I'm not entirely sure what period and place
          > (well, I have a guess, but
          > want to find some good info) I should be
          > looking at.� Any books and other
          > resources?
          >
          > I have a person who is interested, so I figure
          > I will try to find out
          > before next Garb Night so that I can be of some
          > help.
          >
          > -Ii

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
          > href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service</a>.
        • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
            Are you looking for portraits, or construction methods?  The burgundian style dress was from around 1450 - 1480, give or take a few years.  If you look go to the webgallery of art, and search between those dates, you will come up with a few...

            Apollonia
          • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002

              And there is this site, which has both artwork and construction methods...

              Apollonia
            • Vaire Meondur
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
                > Okay, I am looking for any information I can find on 'Burgundian'
                dress.
                > I'm not entirely sure what period and place (well, I have a guess,
                but
                > want to find some good info) I should be looking at. Any books and
                other
                > resources?
                >
                > I have a person who is interested, so I figure I will try to find
                out
                > before next Garb Night so that I can be of some help.
                >
                > -Ii

                Greetings!

                http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/gks1612/002u-en.htm shows a typical
                Burgundian style.

                http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg shows
                a high court style.

                Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
                1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books are
                at home, I'll look up the name tonight.) From Burgundy it spread all
                over the North-Western Europe including Scandinavia and England. The
                best pictorial sources for the style are illuminated manuscripts and
                Netherlandish paintings from the period.

                The best source on construction on the web is:
                http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/BurgundianCostume.pdf

                A late (1480's) variation of the style:
                http://members.aol.com/noramunro/Wardrobe/burgundy.htm

                Megge of Caerleon's Burgundian. An earlier (1450's) style:
                http://www.antir.com/meghan/burgundian.html

                Also go to Web Gallery of Art
                http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/index.html and do searches on timeline 1401-
                1450 and 1451-1500 and Flemish school. That gives you the whole
                development of the style.

                J.P. Getty Museum
                http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c220.html has
                some good images from manuscripts.

                The Royal Library in Copenhagen
                http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/index-en.htm has also some good stuff.

                The National Library of the Netherlands is an absolute treasure
                trove:
                http://www.kb.nl/kb/manuscripts/search/index.html

                The Yahoo group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/15thCenturyEurope/ has lots of good
                pictures of style variations in Photos.

                I've put a couple of pictures of my 1470's dress to this group's
                Photos, Anneke's directory. If you have any questions about the
                construction of the style (or any questions about the style) I'll do
                my best to answer them.

                HTH

                Anneke Lyffland, a 15th century girl
                -~*~-
                Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith
              • Vaire Meondur
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Vaire Meondur" <Anneke@C...> wrote:
                  > Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
                  > 1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books
                  are
                  > at home, I'll look up the name tonight.)

                  Philip the Good and Isabella of Portugal, Duke and Duchess of
                  Burgundy were the ones.

                  Anneke Lyffland
                  -~*~-
                  Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith