Re: [Authentic_SCA] bibliophiles??? we all must be rich....

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
      At 02:50 PM 9/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
      >I have some bookbinding questions for Despina or anyone else who might
      >know:
      >
      >Do you happen to know how Elizabethan pamphlets would have been bound
      >for sale? Or do you know anything about Elizabethan household documents
      >and notes and their binding? I'm particularly looking for quick,
      >easy, but historically accurate ways to put a couple of dozen pages
      >together for informal purposes. I imagine that sewing them together
      >with linen thread is approximately right, but I'd like just a smidge
      >more detail than that.

      Quick, easy and historically accurate:
      With an awl, punch holes in the crease of folded pages.
      Take linen thread on a needle and "sew" the pages together.

      A good online description with a few pictures can be found here:
      http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/bookbind2.html

      Smiles,
      Despina de la more than that and I'll have to make and send a handout