Re: [Authentic_SCA] Linen

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 30, 2002
      Does anyone know a good source for wide linen?  We are moving to a
      new house and I want to make linen sheets for everyone.
      Thanks in advance.
      Kate

    • faena0216
      Message 46 of 46 , May 24, 2004
        Miriel wrote:
        > Can dye on linen be 'set'? I know leather dyes are set with
        shene,
        > butI was wondering about dyes for fabrics...

        Dye is 'set' when the dyeing process is done. Linen is 'mordanted'
        with alum and tannin for natural dyes. This is done usually before
        the dye in introduced.

        With modern chemical dyes, the cloth is treated with (usually but not
        always) washing soda before dyeing, and washing soda may also be
        called for in the dye activation in the dyepot. Here, too, this is
        done before and during the dye process.

        Nancy