Event: Crossroads Faire

  • ladymorwenna
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
      Greeting all,

      The Barony of Carolingia has quite a nifty event coming up in March,
      called the Crossroads Faire. The event announcement can be found here:
      http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=539

      The premise is that ambassadors from several times and places have
      all come to this great fair and set up embassies where visitors can
      explore their culture.
      The current embassies planned are:
      Indian, 13th or 16th c.
      French, 1550 - 1600
      Russian, 1500's
      Spanish, 1000-1200's
      Viking, 831
      Italian, 1300's
      And I heard a rumor for early Irish, if enough people are interested.

      I'm sending this announcement out so early in case anyone is
      interested in getting involved with an embassy. The contact people are
      listed in the event announcement.

      --Morwenna
    • Steven Proctor
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
        ooOOOH BABY! Hot Damn... !

        I think they need a French 1400's embassy... :-D Wheeee.....

        Ta

        Adhemar
        ...wow, that's a *lurid* pink background...

        --
        "If I may beg your pardon, my dear lady, I happened to catch your eye
        from across the room and I was entranced by the beauty therein, the pure

        GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
        DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+
      • Dianne and Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
          No, no, no, late 1500's works quite well, thank you very much! ;-)

          Laurensa
          > I think they need a French 1400's embassy... :-D Wheeee.....
          >
          > Ta
          >
          > Adhemar
          > ...wow, that's a *lurid* pink background...
          >

          > ladymorwenna wrote:
          >
          > > Greeting all,
          > >
          > > The Barony of Carolingia has quite a nifty event coming up in March,
          > > called the Crossroads Faire. The event announcement can be found here:
          > >
          > > http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=539
          > >

          > --
          > "If I may beg your pardon, my dear lady, I happened to catch your eye
          > from across the room and I was entranced by the beauty therein, the pure
          > and unveiled light of honesty flashing bravely at me, the sweet coyness
          > couched in the depths of your green iris like a dolphin in the sea, the
          > smooth marble of your soul in my hand which drew me hither to you," said
          > the dark stranger, returning the glass orb to his hostess, who
          > gratefully popped it back in place with a soft sucking sound.
          >
          > GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
          > DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+

        • Steven Proctor
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
            But they've already *got* one.... :-D

            Ta

            Adhemar

            Dianne and Greg Stucki wrote:

            > No, no, no, late 1500's works quite well, thank you very much! ;-)
            >
            > Laurensa

          • Matthew Hertz
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
              Darn it, now I have to grab all that research I have on 12th&13th century
              Spanish Jews. As usual *sigh* we English are completely overlooked ;)

              Matatias, who may have to go by Matatiyahu for a day.

              On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, ladymorwenna wrote:

              > Greeting all,
              >
              > The Barony of Carolingia has quite a nifty event coming up in March,
              > called the Crossroads Faire. The event announcement can be found here:
              > http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=539
              >
              > The premise is that ambassadors from several times and places have
              > all come to this great fair and set up embassies where visitors can
              > explore their culture.
              > The current embassies planned are:
              > Indian, 13th or 16th c.
              > French, 1550 - 1600
              > Russian, 1500's
              > Spanish, 1000-1200's
              > Viking, 831
              > Italian, 1300's
              > And I heard a rumor for early Irish, if enough people are interested.
              >
              > I'm sending this announcement out so early in case anyone is
              > interested in getting involved with an embassy. The contact people are
              > listed in the event announcement.
              >
              > --Morwenna

            • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
                online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

                Regards,
                Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Matthew Hertz <hertz@c...> wrote:
                > Darn it, now I have to grab all that research I have on 12th&13th
                century
                > Spanish Jews. As usual *sigh* we English are completely
                overlooked ;)

              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                  At 03:46 PM 10/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                  >I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
                  >online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >Zadok ben Solomon ibn Alfakhar

                  Hey Z, have you looked at these?

                  Title: Studies on the history of Portuguese Jews from their expulsion in
                  1497 through their dispersion / co-edited by Israel J. Katz and M. Mitchell
                  Serels. Published: New York : Sepher-Hermon Press for the American Society
                  of Sephardic Studies, 2000. Physical Description: vi, 232 p. : ill., maps ;
                  23 cm. Includes: Includes bibliographical references and indexes.

                  Title: Jews, Christians, and Muslims in the Mediterranean world after 1492
                  / edited by Alisa Meyuhas Ginio. Published: London [England] ; Portland, OR
                  : Cass, 1992. Physical Description: 293 p. ; 23 cm. Includes: Includes
                  bibliographical references and indexes.

                  Title: Spain and the Jews : the Sephardi experience : 1492 and after / Elie
                  Kedourie, general editor. Published: New York : Thames and Hudson, 1992.
                  Physical Description: 248 p. : ill., maps, ports., ; 26 cm. Includes:
                  Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-242) and index.

                  Title: Crisis and creativity in the Sephardic world, 1391-1648 / edited by
                  Benjamin R. Gampel. Published: New York : Columbia University Press, c1997.
                  Physical Description: xvi, 413 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. Includes: Includes
                  bibliographical references (p. [301]-395) and index. Contents: Exile and
                  expulsion in Jewish history / Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi -- Secular Hebrew
                  poetry in fifteenth-century Spain / Raymond P. Scheindlin -- 1492: a house
                  divided / Seymour Feldman -- On converso and marrano ethnicity / Thomas F.
                  Glick -- Order of the expulsion from Spain: antecedents, causes, and
                  textual analysis / Haim Beinart -- Expulsion or integration? the Portuguese
                  Jewish problem / Maria José Pimenta Ferro Tavares -- The exiles of 1492 in
                  the kingdom of Navarre: a biographical perspective / Benjamin R. Gampel --
                  The self-definition of the Sephardic Jews of Western Europe and their
                  relation to the alien and the stranger / Yosef Kaplan -- Prototypes of
                  leadership in a Sephardic community: Smyrna in the seventeenth century /
                  Jacob Barnai ---Sephardic refugees in Ferrara: two notable families /
                  Renata Segre -- Encounters between Spanish and Italian Kabbalists in the
                  generation of the expulsion / Moshe Idel -- The ultimate end of human life
                  in postexpulsion philosophic literature / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- Hebrew
                  manuscripts and printed books among the Sephardim before and after the
                  expulsion / Menahem Schmelzer -- a converso best-seller: Celestina and her
                  foreign offspring / Dwayne E. Carpenter ---Sephardic ceremonial art:
                  continuity in the diaspora / Vivian B. Mann.

                  And do you read German or Spanish? It's too bad you won't be at my house
                  longer when you come to visit. The Rare Book Room here has a Sephardic
                  Magilliah scroll.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Matthew Hertz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
                    > I am curious to know what sort of research you have? Is any of it
                    > online? Sephardic history is a subject near and dear to me.

                    Most of the reasearch I have was tidbits gleaned from general "Jews in the
                    Middle Ages" books and sites, so I cannot attest to much. The one book I
                    have (which may also be online) is "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela."
                    If you haven't read this, I'd suggest it (it doesn't have many details,
                    but provides a good outline of Jews and their professions from the Iberia
                    peninsula to India). I also know that Jewish life was far more fluid
                    pre-13th century. They have found coins with arabic words written in
                    hebrew in England and there is a lot of evidence of communication between
                    the communities across Europe and the Middle East. I'll try and look up
                    some sources later tonight. Sorry!

                    Matatias
                  • Michael Nunn-Weinberg
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Greetings Matatias,

                      I've heard of "The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela" but I havn't had a
                      chance to read it yet. Take a look at my online bibliography
                      (www.cyberiosity.com/zadok) and if you know of any other titles
                      please let me know.

                      Regards,
                      Zadok