Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dance

  • kris
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2002
      At 02:45 PM 9/29/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >I can't tell if when you say "Period" in quotes you mean you're
      >looking for period stuff or stuff that really isn't period. If the
      >former, Well Hall is not period by a good 80+ years. If the latter,
      >well, yah got one there, but I'm curious as to why you want to teach
      >stuff that misses by the proverbial mile. Is it some sort of "don't
      >do these" like Patri used to do in Carolingia with Hole in the
      >H/e/a/d Wall?

      I didn't even know that it was Playford, much less OOP for SCA. I use
      period in quotes due to the fact that I read numerous other lists, and it's
      what I see lots of.. people usually ask "What period?" :]

      #1, I'm trying to make sure that what is currently being taught is taught
      in a manner closer to what it would have been done historically, rather
      than like modern square dancing. An Tir also plays to 1650, so early
      Playford dances are acceptable.

      #2, I'm going to try (note the try) to incorporate dances that are actually
      documentable to before 1600 into the local repertoire. I have a couple
      Italian Basse Danse, a couple Bransles (but people think they're boring),
      the Black Alman, a couple middle eastern circle dances, and would like to
      have more (of everything, but especially the middle eastern dances. They're
      fun and energetic!). Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding information
      online. Going to a local university right now isn't an option, cuz I'm
      working 6 days a week :/ Taking a semester off to save and pay for the next
      one is never fun.

      What is there.. Arbeau, Inns of Court, various files Italian dance I've had
      emailed to me, and the 1st Playford? Any other hints or tips? I sort of
      read french, but other than that, I need translations. Others
      reconstructions to compare to the original would also be extremely handy,
      as I am just learning how to do that bit.

      ha, and I've just figured out how to read the dances here.. cool..:
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/ioc/concord.html

      kris
      the tired wannabe dance instructor