Re: [Authentic_SCA] Portrait question (Garb)

  • Kirrily Robert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
      Apollonia asked:
      > http://au.geocities.com/bella_lucia_da_verona/LiviaColonna.jpg
      >
      > In this picture, where would those ruffle around the open front and the sle=
      > eve holes of the bodice be attached? To the red dress? To the chemise? O=
      > r is it a garment of it's own?

      Wow, what an odd gown.

      My guess is that it's a part of the red gown, as the lacing is
      underneath it, and you couldn't lace it like that if it was attacked to
      the chemise or a standalone in-between garment. It may be removable,
      though (tacked on, and taken off for laundering).

      Yours,

      Katherine

      katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
    • Apollonia Margherita
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
        Well, it was debated on another list, and the consensus was that that type of gown is laced using rings, attached to the inside of the gown.  But I think it makes more sense to lace it through eyelets on that ruff thing, which is attached to the gown.  Less stress on the over gown, I would imagine...

        Apollonia

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
            So basically, eyelet tape stitched to the overgown?

            Apollonia
            No, lacing it through the ruffle will just pull the ruffle off or tear it.  I suspect that there is a tape sewn along the inside edge (the one I have a painting of hooks and eyes closed) with eyelets worked into it.  The way you would along the shoulder to lave the sleeves through.  The overgown has several layers of fabric and plenty of strength, the ruffle is probably lawn, and delicate.

            Madinia

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
              So basically, eyelet tape stitched to the overgown?

              Apollonia
              No, lacing it through the ruffle will just pull the ruffle off or tear it.  I suspect that there is a tape sewn along the inside edge (the one I have a painting of hooks and eyes closed) with eyelets worked into it.  The way you would along the shoulder to lave the sleeves through.  The overgown has several layers of fabric and plenty of strength, the ruffle is probably lawn, and delicate.

              Madinia

              > From: "Apollonia Margherita" <apollonia@...>
              > Date: 2002/07/31 Wed PM 04:53:28 GMT
              > To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Portrait question (Garb)
              >
              > Well, it was debated on another list, and the consensus was that that type of gown is laced using rings, attached to the inside of the gown.  But I think it makes more sense to lace it through eyelets on that ruff thing, which is attached to the gown.  Less stress on the over gown, I would imagine...
              >
              > Apollonia

            • Carolle M Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
                I have no clue whether i'd be right or not, but i'd attach those short
                ruffles to the dress - otherwise they'll slip all over the place. Good
                luck!

                Gerita

                In this picture, where would those ruffle around the open front and the
                sleeve holes of the bodice be attached? To the red dress? To the chemise?
                Or is it a garment of it's own?

                Apollonia

                Apollonia Margherita
                Percy:
                Fashion today is towards the tiny.
                Edmund:
                Well, in that case, Percy, you have the most fashionable brain in
                London.