Re: [Authentic_SCA] forsoothly?

  • Melaena
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
      > > Two: My boyfriend is a Mongol authenticity freak, and we were
      having a
      > >discussion about "speaking forsoothly" the other day. He thinks it's a
      bit
      > >phoney when people in the SCA speak forsoothly because (he says) most of
      the
      > >time it's not suitable to their personas.

      (snip)

      > I have a very strong interest in language issues for persona from a
      > theoretical point of view (being a historical linguist), although I
      > tend not to be at all comfortable trying to "do language" in persona
      > myself. (I have the same problem trying to speak foreign languages
      > -- it's not just a persona thing.) So from a linguist-observer
      > viewpoint, I tend to see people "doing language" in roughly four,
      > highly-overlapping manners.

      (snip)

      Wow, that was really interesting, not at all a snoozer, thank you for
      sharing!

      It occurs to me he does use phrases like "Sain Banuu" (sp?) which is
      essentially "hello" in Mongolian and tells period Mongol stories. So I
      guess he kind of is working his persona into his speech. Violante's "Allah
      be praised" (or whatever it was) is the same thing I guess. I think things
      like that are totally cool.

      Hmmm, I wonder what a Little Egyptian would say as a cultural marker, sort
      of.

      "Your honour, it wasn't *me*!"

      =)

      Margareta
    • marshamclean
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2002
        Hi!  I'd love the chance to talk to you about this.  I've wanted to speak proper Eliazbethan for a long time, but being able to do it only mediocrily (SP??!) has stopped me.  I am a good mimic and pick up accents well.  Perhaps we could spent a bit of time together on this subject at Pennsic?

        Madinia
        Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 4:17 AM
        Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] forsoothly?

        At 11:07 PM 07/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:

        >Speaking forsoothly is as much, if not more, of a matter of avoiding certain
        >topics (computers, modern work, etc) as it is an accent, or using
        >Shakespearian curses and phrases...
        >
        >Melandra

        Unfortunately, too many people decide that late period English is about
        speaking as Shakespear wrote.  Some of the syntax is the same, but the
        language is different.  He was writing for the stage, after all, and in a
        form of poetry.  It's much better to get a sense of the language from
        written documents- letters, etc.  There was also a cassette published a few
        years ago called 'Oh For a Muse of Foire'   a guide to 16th 17th Century
        English.

        I have other problems with this.  I like doing first person.  I have a good
        idea about the syntax, and I can get the accent down pretty well.  Of
        course, I grew up in Yorkshire in the 50. and 60's., so I have an
        advantage.  Up in the north country, the language had not changed so much
        as near London, and the roots were still strong.  Think of the old farmers
        in 'All Creatures Great and Small'.  But when I do that, when the accent
        kicks in, when I don't acknowledge anything after 1595, I get crap from the
        other people at the event.  They either refuse to see what I'm doing and
        keep on asking me modern questions, or tell me to can it, they can't
        understand me.  Then they go into all the old, bad ways that we're trying
        to get rid of-  farspeaker, troll, autocrat, and the like.

        It's another facet of what we do.  The people who want to do this, who want
        to add one more level of authenticity, are going to have to do a lot more
        educating and a lot more eradicating of bad habits of the populace before
        we cand get people to add language to the mix.

        Roderic Hawkyns
        Master Gunner

        Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl

      • Kirrily Robert
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2002
          Madinia asked Roderic:
          > Hi! I'd love the chance to talk to you about this. I've wanted to speak p=
          > roper Eliazbethan for a long time, but being able to do it only mediocrily =
          > (SP??!) has stopped me. I am a good mimic and pick up accents well. Perha=
          > ps we could spent a bit of time together on this subject at Pennsic?

          Oh, count me in too!

          Yours,

          Katherine

          katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
        • Cannoneer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 5:46 PM
            At 05:51 PM 07/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
            >Madinia asked Roderic:
            > > Hi! I'd love the chance to talk to you about this. I've wanted to
            > speak p=
            > > roper Eliazbethan for a long time, but being able to do it only
            > mediocrily =
            > > (SP??!) has stopped me. I am a good mimic and pick up accents
            > well. Perha=
            > > ps we could spent a bit of time together on this subject at Pennsic?
            >
            >Oh, count me in too!
            >
            >Yours,
            >
            >Katherine

            Sorry for the delay in reply- Pennsic prep and all that. Sure, you're both
            welcome to come over. My camp is the Company of the White Rose, in B08,
            right by the fencing Grimms on the battlefield. First week is better,
            things get insane war week, between running the guns and my Lady is getting
            her Pel at EK court.
            What I do is very definitely Northern English. London or Midlands is
            different. Very broad, nasal, and clipped consonants

          • marshamclean@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 5:59 PM