Tang Dynasty music

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2000
      Tang Dynasty music
      PROFESSOR BUILDS PROGRAM TO PRESERVE, PERFORM ANCIENT MUSIC

      FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. ‹ University of Arkansas Distinguished Professor and world-renowned conductor Sarah Caldwell wants to take music unheard by human ears for over 1,000 years and bring it to life by transcribing it, performing it and preserving it for future generations.

      To support her endeavors, the University of Arkansas is working to create a World Center for Ancient Asian and Mid Eastern Music Preservation.

      "There¹s so much music, that is part of everyday life, which we need to preserve before it is destroyed," Caldwell said.
      The center would start its preservation and performance work with music from the Tang Court. This music, which spans the era from 618-906 AD, was imported from the Tang dynasty in China to Japan by emissaries from the then-young state. ...

      To read more see http://pigtrail.uark.edu/news/1999/OCT99/ancientmusic.html

      I'm really interested to see whether those recordings ever came out.

      --Moshe ha-'Ebed ben Yishma'el
      (Don Mossé Mantega)
      (Sayyad Musa ibn Isma'il al-'Abri al-Kastilya)
          Sing for joy to the Lord, all the earth!
          Worship the Lord gladly,
              and come before him with joyful songs!
          (Psalm 100:1-2)