salt

  • Trey Capnerhurst
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15 7:38 PM
      Modern table salt is of course chemical sodium chloride.  It bears almost no resemblance to period salt, which came as rock salt or sea salt.  The minerals in solution in sea water contain such diverse elements as gypsum, potassium, as well as chlorides, in very specific ratios.  Rock salt is a mined mineral, created from precipitation of salt out of sea water and, here's the kicker, made into a rock mineral by chemical processes taking millions of years.  Depending on where it was mined, it may have very different structures; water may have leeched completely different materials out of the salt, it underwent totally different kinds of pressure and temperature and other changes, etc.

      Sea salt has similar problems.  Most modern sea salt reclamation facilities use a very different method of harvesting salt than our ancestors did.  The article I have discusses the period style of harvesting and how the salt it produces varies from modern table salt.

      Treasach