Project using lavender

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      I got a nice bunch of lavender from a local organic farm this weekend
      (I'm in one of those programs where I pay them some money at the
      beginning of the year and I get a basket full of their produce every
      week). Since my Barony is to pay taxes at Purgatorio in August, I was
      wondering what authentic project I could make for a contribution.

      I will be asking some people locally but since some of them were the
      ones who decided to use puffy foam (a very non-authentic component) I
      wanted to get ideas from here too.

      Adelheid
    • Trey Capnerhurst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        Are you kidding?

        Lavender sachets for clothing drawers are period.  To discourage insects, doncha know.

        So is putting a bundle under the edge of floor rugs.  That way whenever you tred on it, you release the scent.

        Lavender tea and lavender cookies are traditional in England.  I know you have organically grown but others should watch out for the chemically treated flowers for that one.)

        Sleep pilows are good.  With chamomile and hops, you put the sachets inside your big pillowslip and as you turn in your sleep, it releases the fragrance, aiding alpha levels.

        I hang bundles of herbs on my ceiling.  They are decorative and smell great.

        If you don't want to steam distill them to get the oil out (since it's a right pain), you can add it to a really nice oil.  I use grapeseed.  It's light, has little latent scent of it's own, has Vit. E already in it for preservative, and absorbs very quickly into the skin.  It's called Oil of Herbs, an old term that we don't use much anymore, since we have so many essential oils.  It's alot like a tincture, only in oil.  (That's why Oil of Oregano is such a huge rip off, folks.  It really is mostly olive oil.)  You put 'em in without washing, (water puts it off much quicker), leave it in for a few weeks, turning occasionally, then strain.  If you don't strain, it can go rancid.  It can then be used for perfumes for those that can't handle modern chemicals.  Add to water, and put into spritzers.

        Putting the flowers in alcohol, by itself or with some other stuff gives you a very period Carmelite type tincture.
        Add a few ribbons, pussy willows, tie together and you've got one of those really expensive decorative dried flower arrangements, that you can give away as expensive gifts or sell for heaps and gobs.

        And of course all the new modern candles, soaps, bath bomb, and bath bag crazes.

        A bath bag in boiling water makes a great steam facial, BTW.  Lavender, or chamomile.  Helps tone up the skin around the eyes, esp.

        Because it affects the parasympathetic nurvous system, it helps relax one.  So a bunch near the pnone are a great way to keep your fingers busy instead of doodling, and helps you keep your focus during calls.  Same with computer work, too.

        Hmmmm...I think that's all I can do off the top of my head.  If I think of any more later......

        Treasach