Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: A proposal for Authenticity

  • Tom Knighton
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 1, 2002
      I wanted to thank everyone for the input. The idea's that I had or stole
      (depending on the idea) were just that, Ideas!

      I have heard some people who want a top-down approach while others would
      prefer a bottom-up approach. I know that the SCA will never be Regia or
      another living history group. However, I do feel that we should make a
      strong effort toward improving the overall look of the SCA. Perhaps by
      making period patterns for some basic garb easily accessible, then maybe we
      will see the overall look of the SCA improve. Most new people seem to want
      to do it authentic, it's usually a lack of access to the correct patterns
      and materials that get them away from that.

      As for things I suggested for the bottom up side, this was mostly as an idea
      for people within the shire to get together and do. My shire and I are
      working toward providing loaner amor of an authentic style (the last marshal
      didn't take care of the armor and most has to be replaced). Also, loaner
      armor won't go home with a newcomer. If they want to fight at an event,
      then they should get their own kit together. We have armorers here in the
      shire so that's something we have over other shires!

      I greatly appreciate the input. Are there things that YOU think should be
      there? Maybe you have an idea that I haven't heard yet but would work.
      PLEASE help me here :o)

      I spent to long in the SCA "getting by" like most of the people today. I
      want to get away from that while helping OTHERS not get into that.

      Thanks again,

      Bran
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 18, 2002
        > >Gee, Despina, don't you want to throw in a couple of hand-sewn court
        > Elizabethans in there?
        > >
        > >If Gwendoline reads this, I'm a marked woman and it'll be your fault
        > Laurensa. I'm considering doing a couple of Elizabethan skirts and
        > doublets for an alternate English persona. *blush*
        >
        >I'm reading this late but, I've got you now. <G> I believe you would be
        >more comfortable in kirtles and doublets since I will argue the skirt
        >issue with you. : )

        EEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Great! Now I'll never escape! *resigned sigh*

        I'm considering doing this because my laurel is a German who was shipped to
        England at a young age in an agreement for his apprenticeship to a jeweler
        and painter and his wife is English all the way. I just thought it would
        be cool if I surprised them by doing a persona shift to their island for an
        outfit or two. *grin*

        > > >(And where do you buy goatskin?)
        > >
        > >Talas. It's a beautiful French goatskin that cost me $82 - the last of
        > my spare money after I bought my linen
        >
        >Do you have the contact info for these people?

        Sure, http://nt.bnt.com/talas/menu.html?category=148 is the direct link
        to their parchement pages, http://talasonline.com/ puts you at their homepage.

        Smiles,
        Despina