Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: A proposal for Authenticity

  • Brett W. McCoy
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil wrote:

      > OTOH, a lot of groups have money in their coffers - I'm not saying a lot,
      > but enough to cover the costs of photocopying small pamphlets to give to
      > their group's newcomers and help them get a clue. Of course, this means
      > that you'd have to persuade your group to put the money and effort into it;
      > which in turn means convincing them that accurate re-creation is a good
      > thing. *grin*

      One thing that separates the SCA from other 'living history' groups is the
      focus of the group -- Regia Anglorum or CivWar groups are narrowed to a
      very short time in history coupled with a specific geography, so there is
      more expertise available about things like garb, tools, manufacturing
      techniques, music, etc. The SCA covers such a wide range of time periods
      and geographical areas that to do any kind of enforcing of even minimal
      authenticity standards would require an inordinate number of experts to
      even decide what is acceptable and what is not (an BOD for Authenticity? I
      bet that would go over real well...)

      -- Istvan
      http://www.chapelperilous.net/
      All heiresses are beautiful.
      -- John Dryden
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 18, 2002
        > >Gee, Despina, don't you want to throw in a couple of hand-sewn court
        > Elizabethans in there?
        > >
        > >If Gwendoline reads this, I'm a marked woman and it'll be your fault
        > Laurensa. I'm considering doing a couple of Elizabethan skirts and
        > doublets for an alternate English persona. *blush*
        >
        >I'm reading this late but, I've got you now. <G> I believe you would be
        >more comfortable in kirtles and doublets since I will argue the skirt
        >issue with you. : )

        EEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Great! Now I'll never escape! *resigned sigh*

        I'm considering doing this because my laurel is a German who was shipped to
        England at a young age in an agreement for his apprenticeship to a jeweler
        and painter and his wife is English all the way. I just thought it would
        be cool if I surprised them by doing a persona shift to their island for an
        outfit or two. *grin*

        > > >(And where do you buy goatskin?)
        > >
        > >Talas. It's a beautiful French goatskin that cost me $82 - the last of
        > my spare money after I bought my linen
        >
        >Do you have the contact info for these people?

        Sure, http://nt.bnt.com/talas/menu.html?category=148 is the direct link
        to their parchement pages, http://talasonline.com/ puts you at their homepage.

        Smiles,
        Despina