Re: A proposal for Authenticity

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Tom Knighton" <badceltic1@r...> wrote:
      > DOH!
      >
      > http://www.dreamwater.net/edu/warband/proposal.htm

      Loaner items are usually a shire's hand-me-downs. Besides, the
      cardinal rule on loaner items is that they should be just barely
      functional enough that it gets the job done without tempting borrowers
      to want to disappear with it permanently. (Despite this rule, it is
      still possible for someone to disappear with a set of bright red and
      yellow gamboised cuisses that require duct tape to keep them on the
      wearer's legs because every single strap has blown out.)

      With SCA membership fees not currently covering existing publishing
      costs, where does the money come from for all these publications and
      authentic loaner items?

      Just some things to consider.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 18, 2002
        > >Gee, Despina, don't you want to throw in a couple of hand-sewn court
        > Elizabethans in there?
        > >
        > >If Gwendoline reads this, I'm a marked woman and it'll be your fault
        > Laurensa. I'm considering doing a couple of Elizabethan skirts and
        > doublets for an alternate English persona. *blush*
        >
        >I'm reading this late but, I've got you now. <G> I believe you would be
        >more comfortable in kirtles and doublets since I will argue the skirt
        >issue with you. : )

        EEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Great! Now I'll never escape! *resigned sigh*

        I'm considering doing this because my laurel is a German who was shipped to
        England at a young age in an agreement for his apprenticeship to a jeweler
        and painter and his wife is English all the way. I just thought it would
        be cool if I surprised them by doing a persona shift to their island for an
        outfit or two. *grin*

        > > >(And where do you buy goatskin?)
        > >
        > >Talas. It's a beautiful French goatskin that cost me $82 - the last of
        > my spare money after I bought my linen
        >
        >Do you have the contact info for these people?

        Sure, http://nt.bnt.com/talas/menu.html?category=148 is the direct link
        to their parchement pages, http://talasonline.com/ puts you at their homepage.

        Smiles,
        Despina