Re: [Authentic_SCA] freezing, pre-cooking and other horrible deeds ;)

  • Marianne Perdomo Machin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 6:57 AM
      Greetings!

      Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go for the experimental approach. Make
      small batches, freeze for a week, then try it and see what works, starting with the
      almond milk. (I might seem obsessed with that, but there's this lovely chicken in
      lemon, ginger and almond-milk sauce I want to make).

      As for the non-cooler texts I re-read them just in case but a lot of it seems to
      deal with keeping the food, not pre-doing the work. Still, we will be doing some
      bread, cheese, cured meats, olives, that sort of thing as a complement (a van sells
      bread on site early-ish in the mornings). Hopefully I'll do the non-cooler thing
      sometime, but I think this occasion is not the best for it.

      Thanks!

      Marianne
    • Cannoneer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1 2:49 PM
        At 03:35 AM 07/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >Gaius and I will probably acquire a "portable firepit" one of these
        >days. (Imagine a large "bowl" constructed of articulated metal plates
        >suspended from a tripod).
        >
        >Jehanne

        Actually, that's how we discovered this little gem. We were using a
        portable firepit with an attached tripod and trying to get it going so we
        could have breakfast on a damp morning. The pit part was made from an
        old washing machine drum, pierced all over. The fire just dripped out the
        holes and could only be put out with sand.

        I have several period formulae for Greek Fire, but this is just so much
        easier :>

        Roderic Hawkyns
        Master Gunner

        Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl
      • marshamclean@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2 10:54 AM