Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 1175

  • Asbjorn Johansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      >Subject: Laurel's Prize Tournament at Pennsic

      snip

      >A tourney will be fought (format to be determined depending on the number
      >of entrants). The prizes provided by the participants in the fighting will
      >be arrayed on tables, and the participants each have an opportunity to
      >select a prize from those provided by the other fighters, based on their
      >rank in the tournament (with the winner selecting first and so on...).

      Its kind of a shame that it sounds like the Laurels tournament at Pennsic
      could end being fought using a format that doesn't resemble what we believe
      was used in period (i.e. double elimination, round robin etc...). I was
      hoping that the Laurels would be the most likely to insist on a historic
      format. (I still use modern formats occasionally when I design a
      tournament, but mainly so I can emphasize some other period aspect that may
      be difficult for the typical fighter to adapt to.)

      Asbjorn

    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        At 01:54 PM 7/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >Its kind of a shame that it sounds like the Laurels tournament at Pennsic
        >could end being fought using a format that doesn't resemble what we believe
        >was used in period (i.e. double elimination, round robin etc...). I was
        >hoping that the Laurels would be the most likely to insist on a historic
        >format.

        You have to remember that, while the tournament will be fought by laurels
        and it's devised for laurels - they aren't the ones setting it up or
        running it. That's not to say that a few of them couldn't get together and
        make a suggestion of a more period style tournament for next year. *grin*

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
          Doh! Interesting point. I had kind of assumed that, but now that you
          mention it there's nothing about it being a 'period form' in the
          announcement, is there... Hmmmm

          Not like I'm going to make it this year (I have a Pelican doc. due *at*
          the war, and I've just been asked to do a County, due less than a month
          after the war...) but I would really like to see this as a period forms
          tourney, yes... I think it's a missed opportunity, otherwise. Still fun,
          but why not have fun and be educational at the same time?

          Ta

          Adhemar

          --
          Virgule gazed across the vast, cold, steel expanse past his inquisitor
          to witness the full consequence of his previous decision - feral,

          GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
          DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+