Re: [Authentic_SCA] Movies

  • Zohra Rawling
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      --On Sunday, June 30, 2002 11:20 PM -0500 Gwendoline Rosamond
      <dameg@...> wrote:

      > I have it's one of the most accurate movies I've ever seen, even if the
      > costuming is a bit odd in places. Oh and you get to see Colin Firth
      > naked. : P

      *ears perk up*

      colin firth naked?

      ooooo

      ysabella
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2004
        I'd love to see any and all of the following:

        1. Louise Labe, the French virago and poet. If Gaspara Stampa rates a movie, so does Louise.

        2. The *true* story of Artemisia Gentileschi, not the abortion that showed up a few years claiming that she was actually in love with her rapist.

        3. Aucassin & Nicolette.

        4. The tragedy of Charles the Mad of France.

        5. A decent version of Joan of Arc that doesn't include Mila Jojovich, Neal Patrick Harris, or a lousy script.

        6. The story of the Spanish Carmelites, particularly Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. They're my favorite religious figures of the Renaissance, and two of the great Doctors of the Church.

        7. Pope Martin V. He managed to end the Great Schism. 'nuff said, true believers!

        8. And for pure doomed romance, Francesca da Rimini. It doesn't get more doomed than that.

        Sarah Davies
      • annavona
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2004
          When you mentioned St. Theresa, I remember that a few years ago the
          EWTN network ran a series on St. Theresa that was done in Spanish
          with subtitles that seemed extremely authentic to this lapsed
          Lutheran. Perhaps it is out on video or DVD somewhere.

          Decent historical movies of any period are hard to find. I grew up
          on the NYC area's Million Dollar Movie that showed the same movie
          twice a day for a week and I remember seeing all the biograpical
          movies that were made in the 30's and 40's such as Louis Pasteur,
          Disraeli, Richelieu etc. They may have not been as accurate as they
          could have been, but they inspired me to investigate further.

          Maybe we need to harness some of the talent in the SCA and produce a
          few pictures of our own <G>.

          Anna von Argenthal