Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Ladies Solar was RE:Competitions and Motivation

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., sableroseschool@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 6/3/02 5:15:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > marshamclean@r... writes:
      >

      > > How about a ladies' solar?  All who were interested could sit and
      sew or
      > > work and gossip.  Perhaps a musician would stop by and sing or
      play.
      > > Someone else might bring a plate of sweetmeats to share...
      >
      > I know if this was offered, I would love to take part. I live in an
      isolated
      > part of the Nevada Mountains, and there are not very many people in
      my area
      > who are as "in to" the SCA as I am, especially the historical side
      (they are
      > all fencers). So I am left lacking inspiration, guidance, tutelage,
      and
      > support. The only time I get the whole aspect of the SCA is at the
      events,
      > and then when I am there, I feel a bit left out cuss I feel like I
      don't have
      > that in or knowledge, nor know the "right people."  If there was a
      place like
      > a a ladies' solar, (maybe not just open to ladies though)  Where I
      could take
      > the stuff I was working on and work on it, get peoples
      opinions/support/help,
      > I would take part in it 150% (especially if we had musicians and I
      would even
      > love to bring sweetmeats to share). It would give people like me
      who are not
      > as "in" to get more involved, meet new people, and learn new
      things.

      > Now I shall go back to being a quite lurker,
      > Lady Bryna
      > West Kingdom, Shire of alpensee (Carson City NV)

      So we'll bring the "ladies' solar" to you. 8-D

      The West Kingdom Needlework Guild will probably have it's next
      meeting at June Crown, which will be in Reno on June 23rd. It's short
      on organized meeting, long on hanging out, stitching, and chatting,
      and a great way to meet a lot of people that are doing lots of neat
      stuff with needle and thread.

      The WKNG has a list in the yahoo groups where you can get more
      information.

      Maud

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dme_maud@p...> wrote:

        > You're going to have a very long way to walk to find me, as I won't
        > be at June Crown; the RMS Spring Encampment is the same weekend, so
        > I'll be at Camp Tamarancho in Marin, about 150 miles to your west.
        > Sorry! 8-(

        Darn! Well, I'll have to catch up with you another time then.

        Jehanne
      • Laurie Hupman
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hello Bryna!

          If you're going to be at June Crown -- which is in
          your neck of the woods this time around -- take some
          time to check out the A&S pavilion. There's usually
          something going on in there, and plenty of people to
          sit around and talk with.

          We've also started a "Laurel Petting Zoo" (crappy
          name, good idea) just for this reason. A couple of
          Laurels at a time will take turns sitting in the A&S
          pavilion, just for people to come around and talk to.
          About anything you want. Um, I can't remember who's
          on watch for Crown, but Cyneswith and Susan, the Arts
          and Sciences officers, would be veryveryveryveryvery
          happy to talk with you.

          Rose

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Marilyn Hillvic
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
            > - and many responded favourably. How do folks feel
            > about doing this at Pennsic? I could host, as I
            > have a large period tent in a central (easy to find)
            > location. >
            Madinia <plotting>,
            Let's! As we get closer to the date, let's set up
            times and places to do this. I will be (or so I am
            told by our land agent) in a central location also.
            --Marilyn

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002

              >  - and many responded favourably.  How do folks feel
              > about doing this at Pennsic?  I could host, as I
              > have a large period tent in a central (easy to find)
              > location.  >
              Madinia <plotting>,
                 Let's! As we get closer to the date, let's set up
              times and places to do this. I will be (or so I am
              told by our land agent) in a central location also.
                        --Marilyn

            • Rosine
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                > I am in Clan Yama Kaminari, behind Dave Cooper's
                > house (the ranch next to troll), a Japanese camp with
                > red curtain walls and a fancy gate. We do tall Japanese
                > banners, too, so it's easy to find.
                > Where/what is your group?
                > Madinia

                Say, that's just around the corner from my camp (Marinus). I can help...
                (besides, you're between me and the Troll booth).

                Rosine
              • marshamclean@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                    > Where/what is your group?
                    Madinia,
                    I'm with the 'Royal Forest of Rusted Woodlands' and
                    the shire folk tell me we camp in N10, next to the
                    merchant area. There is talk of bringing the shire's
                    pavilion to set up (I'll try to confirm that rumor).
                    --Marilyn

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Laurie Hupman <roswtr@y...> wrote:
                      > We've also started a "Laurel Petting Zoo" (crappy
                      > name, good idea) just for this reason.

                      Steve Irwin: "Here we see the Laurel in her nytive habitat. Ayn't she
                      a byoody?"

                      Jehanne
                    • marshamclean@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Laurie Hupman <roswtr@y...> wrote:
                        > We've also started a "Laurel Petting Zoo" (crappy
                        > name, good idea) just for this reason.

                        Steve Irwin: "Here we see the Laurel in her nytive habitat. Ayn't she
                        a byoody?"

                        Jehanne

                      • GR Auklandus
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                          (continues...)

                          "Wait, watch out! This one's a snappah! She'll tyke yer arm off, mate!"

                          Gaius

                          --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                          > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Laurie Hupman <roswtr@y...> wrote:
                          > > We've also started a "Laurel Petting Zoo" (crappy
                          > > name, good idea) just for this reason.
                          >
                          > Steve Irwin: "Here we see the Laurel in her nytive habitat. Ayn't she
                          > a byoody?"
                          >
                          > Jehanne

                          =====
                          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                        • maud_de_clayton
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Laurie Hupman <roswtr@y...> wrote:
                            > > We've also started a "Laurel Petting Zoo" (crappy
                            > > name, good idea) just for this reason.
                            >
                            > Steve Irwin: "Here we see the Laurel in her nytive habitat. Ayn't
                            she
                            > a byoody?"
                            >
                            > Jehanne

                            No worse than referring to the Crown's informal progress as "taking
                            the (King, Queen, whatever pointy hat) for walkies." ;-D

                            Maud