Re: AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • BethAnn A Bretter
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      Katherine wrote:

      > Why is it that A&S competitions discourage Laurels from entering, or
      > restrict which categories they can enter? How are the people going to
      > see what they could be striving for if the Laurels' work isn't out on
      > the table? Not every Laurel carries their work around with them all the
      > time. Sure, you need to encourage newbies to participate without
      > feeling threatened, but I don't think having good work in the comp is
      > necessarily threatening. I'd find it more inspiring, myself.

      Unperiodness of the whole Pent idea aside, unlike a Tourney, there is no cut and dried way to pick a winner in an A&S competition. Laurels are encouraged to volunteer for the position of judge in Eastern A&S comps, but usually there is a shortage of judges so the autocrats continue down the food chain in each category until they find enough experienced people to judge every one. Often this means that many categories (brewing in particular as until fairly recently the East has had only 2 Brewing Laurels, neither of which knew all that much about wine in period) are judged by non-Laurels. I imagine that the restriction is meant to 1. make more
      Laurels available to judge the category they got their Laurel in and 2. make non-Laurel judges less intimidated by the idea of judging as they would be if they had to judge a Laurel's work in his own field.

      Peyton
    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted