Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      > I thought about this a bit, and I'm not sure I entirely agree.
      > - much as we might like to do otherwise, almost everyone takes
      > shortcuts for normal event stuff compared to what they'd enter in a
      > comp (Do you dress as well for every event as you would if it were
      > being entered in a display or being judged for points?  I know I

      Actually 90% I do dress as if I were being judged. Fabric should be
      period correct, style should be documentable. Sometimes the only
      shortcut is that the long seams are machine sewn, but everything else
      is hand finished. However in the past year that too has changed to
      everything is hand sewn. And that which had been a compromise in the
      past is being replaced. (Example shoes, should be ready at Pennsic
      this year, ordered last year)

      >If I eat a dish at a feast, even assuming that I know that the
      > feast's cook is a cooking laurel, I don't have much opportunity to
      > find out about where the dish is from, how it's made, its cultural
      > context, or anything else apart from its name and taste... and I
      would hardly go into the kitchen to ask them.

      I know sevral cooks that do go to the kitchen and do ask...of courde
      they also offer to help cook and clean up too. If it's someones area
      of interest they should ask questions. that's how they learn.

      > - if someone's wearing/carrying an item at an event, you don't know
      it was *them* that did it... they might have bought the item, or a
      friend might have made it
      > - an entry in a display/comp works like an introduction... people
      may feel more comfortable coming up and chatting to someone whose
      work is out on the table with their name on it, than they would going
      up to a
      > complete stranger and asking about something they're
      > wearing/carrying/doing.  The documentation (even if only a one-line
      > description) gives you a starting point for conversation.  And entry
      > in the display/comp implies an availability and active willingness
      > chat about your work on the day, which may be a good thing for those
      > people who are loathe to interrupt peers who always seem to be
      > around doing stuff and having meetings at events and talking to
      > at events.  "Peer fear" is mostly about "they're too busy/important
      > want to talk to me" and actively soliciting conversations about the
      > work by putting it out on the table may help break through that.

      I have to agree here. A display or competition does let you talk to
      the person that might have made something wonderful. I think it also
      serves as a place to see and learn as well as encourage others to do
      simular work. I think it also makes many of us research more then
      just the obvious. We have to look and find out just how was this done
      if I want to make the same. Now granted things I make for competition
      I make for my own use. But I do have to admit I've learned quite a
      bit researching things, more then I could have possibly thought at
      first glance.
      Competitions are not for everybody, but for those that want to have a
      reason to excell it's a place for feed back as well as kudos.

      - Brynn

      This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted