Re: [Authentic_SCA] Language and Poetry (was: Vocal music and Languages)

  • Taliesin Earthstar
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 7, 2001
      ------Original Message------
      From: "Kass McGann" <historian@...>
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: March 7, 2001 2:23:24 PM GMT
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Language and Poetry (was: Vocal music and
      Languages)

      > *I* cannot write a poem in the 10th century Irish style
      > in English. But neither could the woman whose poem
      > I was being asked to judge. She took a simple truism
      > ("There are alot of references to war and nature in 10th
      > century Irish poetry.") and wrote a high-school-
      > assignment-type poem with that in mind.

      <wince> Now that's a different critter entirely. When I attempted murdering
      one of the _cywydd_ forms, I did at least stick with the structure as
      defined. (But the poem was so bad that even if I find my copy, I'm NOT
      sharing -- that would violate my 5th-amendment rights, after all <g>.)

      > If someone did write a Japanese tanka in English
      > and managed to get the makura kotoba right and
      > everything, Hell, I'd write them up for a Laurel! =)

      Now I get to display my ignorance of things east. I'm assuming that a
      _makura kotoba_ is a particular style of "word-play?"

      Justin W. Eiler -- "Veritas Versus Mundi"

      taliesin_o@...

      NO SPAM:
    • stephen higa
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 12, 2001
        Re: [Authentic_SCA] Language and Poetry (was: Vocal music and Languages) oh, Fujiwara-hime, of COURSE I wasn't addressing you.  I was merely--um--remarking on the interesting phonetics of the word...yes...

        Moshe
        "Do not take a liking to poison just because there is an antidote."
        --Shinran (1173-1262)

        ----------
        From: "Kass McGann" <historian@...>
        To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Language and Poetry (was: Vocal music and Languages)
        Date: Fri, Mar 9, 2001, 5:53 AM

        Ha ha, "Fuji-san"!  :)  Okay, -yama it is.

        I *know* you're not addressing me, are you Moshe?  <stern look>

        And -sama it is not...So can I do -dono for men and -hime for women?  Or is -hime only for certain women?

        Dono is for men or women.  Hime is the female-only equivalent and, no, it's not reserved for any particular women, just "nobles".  So you can call me "Fujiwara-dono" or "Fujiwara-hime".  They're interchangeable.

        Kass

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor