Re: Art as horse race, was WSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skud11111" <skud@i...> wrote:
      > Do you dress as well for every event as you would if it were
      > being entered in a display or being judged for points? I know I
      don't.)

      I, for one, being an anarchist, don't do ANYTHING to be judged.
      Period. That's not why I do what I do. I make things because I need
      them. I sing and play because I enjoy it. The only thing I've ever
      put in an A&S display was that joke bird-house.

      I will, on occasion, enter bardic competitions, simply because
      they're a venue to do what I do. I've so far managed to avoid the
      judges of the Bard of Cynagua competition because I have absolutely
      NO interest in how many points they gave me!!! Points! Did you enjoy
      the performance? Fine, then I've done my job. I don't want to know
      how many points everybody got. I don't care if I win. (I can see it
      now: the scop stills his harp and the Danish judge gives him a 6.0
      for execution, while the English lutenist gives him a 3.5 because
      he's a primitive barbarian with a funny accent and the Irish filidh
      won't give him a score at all because his people burned down the
      monastery nextdoor.)

      I made a personal decision several years that I would only perform
      period works at SCA venues. I've stuck to that decision. As long as
      I've performed to the best of my ability, that's all that matters.
      Nobody's going to find a CD buried in a bog. Everything I do
      musically has been filtered through the best guesses of music
      scholars, recording artists and my 21st century ears. You can compare
      a blackwork coif to an extant one in the V&A. I can't do the musical
      equivalent. It's always going to have to be a best guess.

      If you want to come up to me and ask about what I'm wearing or using
      or doing, fine. I'll be glad to "talk shop." If you applaud when I
      perform, I am grateful. That's enough for me.

      Oh, was that a rant? Yeah, probably. Never mind.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted