Re: Re: [Authentic_SCA] AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      Um, if I may issue a correction here:

      There are many tourneys, especially most local championships, that do not
      allow knights to play. For pretty much the same reasons that have been
      listed, i.e., that the non-belts want a chance to win something without
      having to compete with the "big guys."

      Gaius

      >From: <marshamclean@...>
      >To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: Re: [Authentic_SCA] AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....
      >Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 9:33:50 -0400
      >
      >I am torn on this subject, myself.  Certainly there is a double standard at
      >work where knights feel free to compete in all tourneys, yet laurels are
      >discouraged by custom from competing.  I think competing would keep laurels
      >on our toes, by forcing us to stay up to date with the state of our art.
      >Obviously, we aren't meant to "rest on our laurels", but rather to continue
      >our research and development as artisans.  And competition would be a good
      >way to push ourselves.  It's also somewhat patronizing to think that the
      >presence of a laurel in an arts competition automatically means that no one
      >else has a chance.
      >
      >There is also a distinct difference between the arts and fighting, though.
      >A knight/fighters whole "thing" is fighting, and the main venue for
      >fighting is the tourney.  For artisans, the whole SCA is our venue.  I am a
      >costumer, so my work is on display at every event.  A cook's work is
      >displayed whenever it is eaten...
      >
      >Just a thought.
      >
      >Madinia
      >
      > > Imagine if most SCA tourneys didn't allow knights to compete, only to
      > > judge/marshall.  Wouldn't that be weird?  The fighters sometimes have
      > > "unbelted" tourneys to give the newbies a chance of winning.  No reason
      > > that Laurels couldn't be encouraged to enter most A&S comps, but have
      > > "newbie" judging separately sometimes.

    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted