Re: Re: [Authentic_SCA] AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • Rich Auklandus
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      Greetings,
       Please note I am unsure of this, it is totaly MY thought :)
      I think that a Peer is not supposed to submit to a form they recieved their peerage for in order to give the new people a chance (as you mentioned)...If Joe shmoe is new to an art form but has given it some time thought and study, I PERSONALLY would not think it kind to place his "wooden doomabobber" up against a "wooden doomabobber" of someone who has acheived the honor of Peer for his/her "wooden doomabobber".. The Peer has obviously showed  large acomplishments in the form already :)
      I also believe (and Morgan please correct me if I am wrong) that at this event, there will be an A&S display also. This to me would be a great place for a Peer to display the peice of work they got their award for.
      I love this idea. I would not feel intimidated about going up against a Laural in Soap Making YET  I would have the ability to see their work and read their findings :)
      I could do a comparative analasis :)

      So to elaborate what I mentioned above :)
      Joe Shmoe can  place his "wooden doomabobber" in the competition with out feer of "chalangeing a Peer" (VERY INTIMIDATING regardless of how well your work is)..
      Then Joe may walk over to the display table and see the wounderous item placed for display by the Peer :)

      I do however :) think that the idea of seperate judging has good merrit :)
      To me the criteria between entering something you are learning about and something that has already recieved our highest award, deserves a division.

      Isabella :)

      OK, here's something I don't understand, and I'm going to ask it here
      even though it is slightly off-topic.  I figure people here will at
      least have interesting viewpoints on this topic.

      Why is it that A&S competitions discourage Laurels from entering, or
      restrict which categories they can enter?  How are the people going to
      see what they could be striving for if the Laurels' work isn't out on
      the table?  Not every Laurel carries their work around with them all the
      time.  Sure, you need to encourage newbies to participate without
      feeling threatened, but I don't think having good work in the comp is
      necessarily threatening.  I'd find it more inspiring, myself.

      Imagine if most SCA tourneys didn't allow knights to compete, only to
      judge/marshall.  Wouldn't that be weird?  The fighters sometimes have
      "unbelted" tourneys to give the newbies a chance of winning.  No reason
      that Laurels couldn't be encouraged to enter most A&S comps, but have
      "newbie" judging separately sometimes.

      Yours,

      Katherine

      katherine@...  http://infotrope.net/sca/

    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted