Laurel Participation in A&S was:AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      At 08:13 AM 6/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
      >Why is it that A&S competitions discourage Laurels from entering, or
      >restrict which categories they can enter? How are the people going to
      >see what they could be striving for if the Laurels' work isn't out on
      >the table? Not every Laurel carries their work around with them all the
      >time.

      My opinion on this is because people putting events together oftne feel it
      will be 1) intimidating to the newcomers and the first time entrants and 2)
      the laurel in that field has an 'advantage' over those who are not laureled
      for it.

      Personal solution: Have an event that is a Laurel A&S Tournament and make
      sure the Royalty *will* be there. - Plan it around the royalty's schedule,
      if possible. Having the royalty there insures high attendance, having a
      laurel tourney with royalty there insures high participation on the part of
      the laurels. *grin* If you can get the Crown to make the event a
      Tournament of Chivalry at the same go- it's sure to be a winner, as the
      fighters will come in droves for it.

      The curious will come to see what the laurels can do. Those who want to be
      noticed will come to see that to which they aspire. Both in A&S and in
      fighting. Plus, you'll get the usual people that will attend just because
      the royalty are there.

      Just an idea.....

      Smiles,
      Despina de la wants to put on such an event in the worst way but her group
      can't get it together enough to let her put on a Regional A&S the way she
      wants to...... *sigh*
    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted