Re: [Authentic_SCA] AWSOME ST. ELEGIUS....

  • Kirrily Robert
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2002
      Isabella wrote:
      > So I believe the only stipulation on this line is that a Laurel can only
      > enter in a [category] they did NOT recieve their Laurel for :)

      OK, here's something I don't understand, and I'm going to ask it here
      even though it is slightly off-topic. I figure people here will at
      least have interesting viewpoints on this topic.

      Why is it that A&S competitions discourage Laurels from entering, or
      restrict which categories they can enter? How are the people going to
      see what they could be striving for if the Laurels' work isn't out on
      the table? Not every Laurel carries their work around with them all the
      time. Sure, you need to encourage newbies to participate without
      feeling threatened, but I don't think having good work in the comp is
      necessarily threatening. I'd find it more inspiring, myself.

      Imagine if most SCA tourneys didn't allow knights to compete, only to
      judge/marshall. Wouldn't that be weird? The fighters sometimes have
      "unbelted" tourneys to give the newbies a chance of winning. No reason
      that Laurels couldn't be encouraged to enter most A&S comps, but have
      "newbie" judging separately sometimes.

      Yours,

      Katherine

      katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
    • wodeford
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > Talk about timing. I've been hunted down like the dog I am. ;-> I
        got
        > a note from the outgoing Bard of Cynagua last night requesting my
        > address so she can mail me my score sheets. I politely declined to
        do
        > so: I did my best, people applauded, that's enough for me.
        >
        > I wonder if she'll understand.

        She didn't. Sigh. She didn't understand "No, you may not have my
        address," either.

        She forgot she can't make me read the damned things.

        Jehanne de Sgusted