games

  • Gwendoline Rosamond
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31, 2002
      Greetings,

      I believe that there are some on the list interested in historical
      games. So, I thought I would pass this along. Oxbow books is reprinting a
      number of Oxford University Press books.

      http://www.oxbowbooks.com/reprints.cfm?

      "History of Board-Games other than Chess"
      by H J R Murray
      Complementing Murray's A History of Chess, this book provides as complete a
      record as possible of the other board games that have existed in different
      parts of the world, showing how they were played, what is known of their
      history and development and their ultimate origin. In the fifty years since
      it was written it has become the classic compilation of evidence from
      ancient ... Hardback. Price US $20.98

      Some of the other books of possible interest are:

      "Robert Grosseteste and the Origins of Experimental Science 1100-1700"
      by A C Crombie
      Crombie shows how the particular intellectual and practical interests of
      Western thinkers, especially from the 12th century, led them to ask
      particular kinds of questions about the natural world. In the 13th century
      the Oxford School, with Robert Grosseteste as its founder, assumed a
      paramount importance and the work of this school marked the beginning of
      the modern tradition of ... Hardback. Price US $24.98

      "An Introduction to Greek and Latin Palaeography"
      by Sir Edward Maunde Thompson
      The author modestly describes this book as `a fairly complete account of
      the history and progress of Greek and Latin palaeography, especially in its
      literary aspect, from the earliest periods represented by surviving
      manuscripts down to the close of the fifteenth century'. The core of the
      book - which ensures its continuing value - is a selection of 250
      facsimiles of manuscripts ranging ... Hardback. Price US $35.98

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline