HELP!!!!!(Not REALLY an emergency!)

  • Tom Knighton
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2002
      I may have mentioned to some of you about my plan to start an early period "tourney company" based on 9th and 10th Century Ireland.  The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding stuff dealing with that locale at that time.  Do any of you have anything you are willing to share??

      Anything would be great as long as it deals with Irish or Viking culture during the above dates.

      Also, please feel free to check out the site at http://www.dreamwater.net/edu/warband/index.htm

      Let me know what you all think and PLEASE let me know if you have any old A&S projects that we could make use of (such as pics and documentation) to help make this thing work!!!!!  I just want to show folks that Early Period can be done well in the SCA :o)

      Bran
    • Steven Proctor
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2002
        Ummmmmmm.

        Not to put too fine a point on it, but 'tourney company' and 'early
        period' are pretty antithetical, unless you have an extremely liberal
        view of 'early period'. The tourney as such didn't start until the mid
        to late 1100's, and didn't begin to resemble the style most commonly
        thought of in the SCA (to knights, 'jousting' at each other with a
        barrier between...) until even later, almost the 1400's. It was never a
        viking thing, and I doubt it was an Irish one, unless you count it being
        done by the English in Ireland...

        Ta

        Morgan

        > Tom Knighton wrote:
        >
        > I may have mentioned to some of you about my plan to start an early
        > period "tourney company" based on 9th and 10th Century Ireland. The
        > problem is that I'm having a hard time finding stuff dealing with that
        > locale at that time. Do any of you have anything you are willing to
        > share??
        >
        > Anything would be great as long as it deals with Irish or Viking
        > culture during the above dates.
        >
        > Also, please feel free to check out the site at
        > http://www.dreamwater.net/edu/warband/index.htm
        >
        > Let me know what you all think and PLEASE let me know if you have any
        > old A&S projects that we could make use of (such as pics and
        > documentation) to help make this thing work!!!!! I just want to show
        > folks that Early Period can be done well in the SCA :o)
        >
        > Bran
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Virgule gazed across the vast, cold, steel expanse past his inquisitor
        to witness the full consequence of his previous decision - feral,
        withered children, in tattered, filthy garments, toiled mindlessly at
        his command in a single chamber which reeked of oil and burning animal
        flesh - his time had come to deliver the final instruction; "Yes! I
        would like fries with that."

        GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
        DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+
      • Tom Knighton
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2002
          Actually I stole the idea from the tourney companies but it's not a
          tournament company. It's more of a warband since that is what would have
          existed then. Sorry, I was half asleep when I posted so it wasn't clear!

          Bran
          > Not to put too fine a point on it, but 'tourney company' and 'early
          > period' are pretty antithetical, unless you have an extremely liberal
          > view of 'early period'. The tourney as such didn't start until the mid
          > to late 1100's, and didn't begin to resemble the style most commonly
          > thought of in the SCA (to knights, 'jousting' at each other with a
          > barrier between...) until even later, almost the 1400's. It was never a
          > viking thing, and I doubt it was an Irish one, unless you count it being
          > done by the English in Ireland...
          >
          > Ta
          >
          > Morgan
          >

          > > Tom Knighton wrote:
          > >
          > > I may have mentioned to some of you about my plan to start an early
          > > period "tourney company" based on 9th and 10th Century Ireland. The
          > > problem is that I'm having a hard time finding stuff dealing with that
          > > locale at that time. Do any of you have anything you are willing to
          > > share??
          > >
          > > Anything would be great as long as it deals with Irish or Viking
          > > culture during the above dates.
          > >
          > > Also, please feel free to check out the site at
          > > http://www.dreamwater.net/edu/warband/index.htm
          > >
          > > Let me know what you all think and PLEASE let me know if you have any
          > > old A&S projects that we could make use of (such as pics and
          > > documentation) to help make this thing work!!!!! I just want to show
          > > folks that Early Period can be done well in the SCA :o)
          > >
          > > Bran
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > --
          > Virgule gazed across the vast, cold, steel expanse past his inquisitor
          > to witness the full consequence of his previous decision - feral,
          > withered children, in tattered, filthy garments, toiled mindlessly at
          > his command in a single chamber which reeked of oil and burning animal
          > flesh - his time had come to deliver the final instruction; "Yes! I
          > would like fries with that."
          >
          > GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
          > DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+

        • Steven Proctor
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
            S'ok. I was just trying to nip a misconception in the bud. Warband is am
            much better model to work from for your period and place...

            Good luck!

            Ta

            Morgan

            Tom Knighton wrote:

            > Actually I stole the idea from the tourney companies but it's not a
            > tournament company. It's more of a warband since that is what would
            > have
            > existed then. Sorry, I was half asleep when I posted so it wasn't
            > clear!
            >
            > Bran

          • Will Harrington
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
              > Not to put too fine a point on it, but 'tourney company' and 'early
              > period' are pretty antithetical, unless you have an extremely liberal
              > view of 'early period'. The tourney as such didn't start until the mid
              > to late 1100's, and didn't begin to resemble the style most commonly
              > thought of in the SCA (to knights, 'jousting' at each other with a
              > barrier between...) until even later, almost the 1400's. It was never a
              > viking thing, and I doubt it was an Irish one, unless you count it being
              > done by the English in Ireland...
              >
              > Ta
              >
              > Morgan

              But, Ireland did have numerous fairs where all sorts of competitions took
              place. I can't recall off the top of my head if mock combat was numbered
              amongst these competitions, but the fairs may offer a model worth
              investigating.

              Dorje
            • val_org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Tom Knighton" <badceltic1@r...> wrote:
                > I may have mentioned to some of you about my plan to start
                > an early period "tourney company" based on 9th and 10th Century
                > Ireland. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding stuff
                > dealing with that locale at that time. Do any of you have anything
                > you are willing to share??
                >
                > Anything would be great as long as it deals with Irish or Viking
                > culture during the above dates.

                Bran, I have some suggestions. First I have two books you may find
                useful - neither specifically discusses Hiberno-Norse warbands, but
                they both cover very similar information for Wales, England, and both
                touch on SCandinavian materials:

                Evans, Stephen S. Lords of Battle: Image and Reality of the Comitatus
                in Dark-Age Britain. Woodbridge: Boydell. 1997. Available from
                Amazon.com:
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0851156622/thevikinganswerl
                [This small book is an interesting look at warbands in early Britain.
                Most of the evidence refelects Anglo-Saxon warbands, but Welsh
                warrior culture is also examined where possible. Of course quite a
                bit of evidence comes from literary sources, particularly the heroic
                poetry, but where possible archaeology is consulted as well.]

                Cherniss, Michael D. Ingeld and Christ: Heroic Concepts and Values in
                Old English Christian Poetry. The Hague: Mouton. 1972. Available from
                Amazon.com:
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9027923353/thevikinganswerl
                [While the core of the book is about how the heroid warband concept
                is articulated in OE Christian poetry, before Cherniss can start that
                discussion he has to establish what the ethos and conduct of an early
                warband in Northern Europe were, and thus this provides a nice
                introduction.]

                I'd also suggest the bibliographies in the following articles:

                The Vikings in Ireland - A brief overview of the history of the
                Viking invasions and settlements in Ireland
                http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/Ireland.htm

                In Service to the Crown: Warriors' Oaths to the King
                http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/oaths.htm

                ::GUNNVOR::

                Gunnvor silfrahar, Ansteorra
              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002

                  >::GUNNVOR::
                  >
                  >Gunnvor silfrahar, Ansteorra

                  *grin* I had no idea you were lurking about here! Folks, if it has to do
                  with anything remotely Viking - *this* is the person to ask!

                  Welcome!

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • val_org
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                    Despina said:
                    > *grin* I had no idea you were lurking about here! Folks, if it
                    > has to do with anything remotely Viking - *this* is the person to
                    > ask!
                    > Welcome!

                    Thanks - until today I had no idea the list existed, then (being a
                    Viking geek), I had to do a search through the archives for "Viking".

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                      >Thanks - until today I had no idea the list existed, then (being a
                      >Viking geek), I had to do a search through the archives for "Viking".
                      >
                      >::GUNNVOR::
                      >
                      >Gunnvor silfrahar, Ansteorra

                      As many people as I've sent to your website, I'm ashamed that I never
                      thought to let you know about this list. I'm glad you found us.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina
                    • Tom Knighton
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Thanks!!! You're now my hero!! :o)

                        Any other info you might have would be WONDERFUL so I don't screw this up!

                        In all honesty folks, I think that the early period is fascinating. I want
                        to see folks learn that you can do it authenticly and have lots of fun!!!!
                        That's what the War Band is about. I'd apprecaite any and all help anyone
                        can give.

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                          My apologies. Unfortunately I hit send before I realized that everyone
                          isn't inside my head (there are enough voices to convince me otherwise from
                          time to time) :oD

                          I will personally try to be a bit more descriptive with my headings. Once
                          agian, I apologize.

                          Bran
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 13, 2002
                            this is probably just a personal pet Peeve, but could
                            people put subject headings!

                            Many of us are on multiple lists and get 200 plus emails a
                            day, As much as we would like to read everything, its not
                            always possible and must limit ourselves to what we are
                            interested in and what we can help with. Vague subjects
                            headings Like "help" and "I have a question" doesnt tell me
                            anything and I am likely to delete it for the 100 or so
                            that do have subject headings. Just a quick title like 9th
                            century garb, tourney's , etc.

                            Stepping off soap box now

                            Cat

                            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                          • Heather Rose Jones
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2002
                              >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Tom Knighton" <badceltic1@r...> wrote:
                              >> I may have mentioned to some of you about my plan to start
                              >> an early period "tourney company" based on 9th and 10th Century
                              >> Ireland. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding stuff
                              >> dealing with that locale at that time. Do any of you have anything
                              >> you are willing to share??
                              >>
                              >> Anything would be great as long as it deals with Irish or Viking
                              > > culture during the above dates.

                              Here's a random dump of relevant items in my personal card-catalog.
                              (No guarantees that any particular item is the _best_ source on the
                              topic.) Sorry about some of the information being truncated -- a
                              previous version of my card-catalog had field-length limits.

                              Bourke, Edward. 1994. "Glass Vessels of the First Nine Centuries AD
                              in Ireland" in Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquities of
                              Ireland: 124:1994.

                              Holm, Poul. 1986. "The slave trade of Dublin, ninth to twelfth
                              century" in Peritia: 5: 317-46.

                              Doherty, Charles. 1980. "Exchange and Trade in Early Medieval
                              Ireland" in Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland :
                              110: 67-89.

                              MacWhite, Eoin. 1945. "Early Irish Board Games" in Eigse: 05:1945-47.

                              Wallace, Patrick F.. 1988. "Archaeology and the emergence of Dublin
                              as the pri[...]" in Settlement and Society in [...]: 123-160.

                              O Riordain, Breandan. 1976. "High Street Excavations" in Proc 7th
                              Viking Congress: 135-140.

                              Murray, Hilary. 1981. "Houses and other structures from the Dublin
                              excava" in Proc 8th Viking Congress: 57-68.

                              Lucas,. 1956. "Irish Shoes: Archaeological Specimens" in J Cty
                              Louth Arch Soc: 13:366-387.

                              Clarke, Howard ed.. . "Medieval Dublin - the making of a metropolis".

                              Graham-Campbell, James. 1998. "The early Viking Age in the Irish
                              Sea area" in Ireland and Scandinavia in the Early Viking Age:
                              104-130.

                              Sandberg-McGowan, Astrid. 1996. "Viking Influence on Irish Weaponry
                              and Dress?" in Celtica Helsingiensia: 215-231.

                              Bradley, John. . "Topographical development of Scandinavian Dublin"
                              in Dublin City and County: F: Ch 3.

                              Bradley, John ed.. . "Viking Dublin Exposed - The Wood Quay Saga" .

                              Bradley, John. 1988. "Interpretation of Scandinavian Settlement in
                              Irela" in Settlement and Society in: 49-78.

                              O Cuiv, Brian. 1988. "Personal names as an indicator of relations
                              between [?Norse and Irish?]" in Settlement and Society in Medieval
                              Ireland: 79-88.

                              Ryan, Michael. 1994. Irish Archaeology Illustrated. Country House,
                              Dublin. ISBN 0-946172-33-1

                              Edwards, Nancy. 1990. The Archaeology of Early Medieval Ireland.
                              University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia. ISBN 0-8122-3085-X
                              [VERY GOOD!!!!]

                              Murray, Hilary. 1983. Viking and Early Medieval Buildings in
                              Dublin. BAR, Oxford. ISBN 0-86054-235-1

                              O'Croinin, Daibhi. 1995. Early Medieval Ireland 400-1200. Longman,
                              New York. ISBN 0-582-015650

                              --
                              *****
                              Heather Rose Jones
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 14, 2002
                                WHOA!!! Now THAT'S alot!!!! Thanks alot!!!

                                Bran
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 15, 2002
                                  At 11:42 PM -0400 6/14/02, Tom Knighton wrote:
> [...]

                                  What can I say -- I'm a grad student. Research is what I do for a living.

                                  Tangwystyl
                                  --
                                  *****
                                  Heather Rose Jones