Re: [Authentic_SCA] Stills of Middle A&S/Crown

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30 12:34 PM
      At 03:14 PM 5/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
      >This is torture. There are SO many things I want to learn to do well, and
      >so little time! I want to make gorgeous (and authentic) garb, I want to do
      >scrolls and learn to make my own pigments, I want to learn heraldry, I
      >want to learn woodworking..I am focusing on calligraphy and heraldry right
      >now, but I have this burning desire to buy tools...and a friend shipping
      >me a pile of wool for a Tudor gown...

      Yeah, it doesn't help when you see so many possibilities in one place,
      there was also handmade paper and some lovely calligraphy, as well as
      illuminations. *grin* Not that I'd goad you on......

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Dianne and Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 15 , May 30 1:04 PM

        Yeah, it doesn't help when you see so many possibilities in one place,
        there was also handmade paper and some lovely calligraphy, as well as
        illuminations.  *grin*  Not that I'd goad you on......

        Smiles,
        Despina

        Oh, no, never you, Despina. Never you!

        Laurensa

      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 15 , May 30 1:06 PM
          >Yeah, it doesn't help when you see so many possibilities in one place,
          >there was also handmade paper and some lovely calligraphy, as well as
          >illuminations. *grin* Not that I'd goad you on......
          >

          >Oh, no, never you, Despina. Never you!
          >
          >Laurensa

          And the sound of innocent whistling was heard in the distance.......

        • Dianne and Greg Stucki
          Message 4 of 15 , May 30 1:35 PM

            And the sound of innocent whistling was heard in the distance.......

            I think I'd better get my hip boots. It's getting deep in here.
            Laurensa

          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 15 , May 30 1:37 PM
              >And the sound of innocent whistling was heard in the distance.......

              >I think I'd better get my hip boots. It's getting deep in here.

              Get up into the canoe, it's a better view. *grin*

            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 15 , May 30 1:45 PM
                Okay, I'm looking through a bunch of stuff and getting distracted by other
                things that I want to do (I've already decided that I have to make paper
                and marble it in the proper period Turkish way for next year's
                A&S) BUT what I *really* want to do is make silhouette papers in the
                Persian and Turkish style of period. (of course, I'll have to illuminate
                some of it, but that is for later....)

                I have several books coming to me from the library and I've been in contact
                with Jonathan Bloom, one of the world's experts on Turkish and Islamic
                papers and their history as well as manufacture.

                Has anyone seen anything on this?

                A picture of what I'm speaking about can be seen here:
                http://www.kb.nl/kb/100hoogte/hh-en/hh037-en.html

                It's a beautiful art and I *really* want to learn to do this as they did -
                I think it's amazing.

                Thanks for any help you can give me,
                Despina de la decided to let the idea out of the bag since someone else on
                a different list contacted me asking for help with the same thing - so much
                for an original project *sigh*

                ----------
                "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not
                trying."

                -- Michael Jordan
              • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 15 , May 30 2:06 PM
                  Well, talk about not original--I have been looking at pictures of an illuminated book that two scribes assembled, from the calligraphy and illumination to the tooled leather binding. (Of course, I can't remember their names, or what kingdom they were in--perhaps Caid.)

                  Anyway, I am thinking of attempting something similar as a long term goal. It would involve long practice on all parts involved, but I like having a long-term plan, and this would be a lovely project. The book was absolutely stunning.

                  Laurensa

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31 2:23 AM
                    > They're good pics and you'll see some of the cool stuff that was at
                    the
                    > A&S. Bogdan's molds also are in there, so you can see what they
                    look like.

                    Wow - such a variety of exhibits, too. Really nice to see. I
                    particularly liked the bead garden, and the carved chair, but there
                    was lots of neat stuff.

                    What are the moulds made of, Bogdan?

                    Lisa
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 31 8:06 AM
                      >Wow - such a variety of exhibits, too. Really nice to see. I
                      >particularly liked the bead garden, and the carved chair, but there
                      >was lots of neat stuff.

                      The person who did the bead garden entered 7 items overall. She is the new
                      Kingdom A&S champion, having 5 of her 7 items entered in the Pentathalon
                      competition and won the competition. She's also a really nice person.

                      >What are the moulds made of, Bogdan?

                      Beeswax and hide glue. I'll see if I can convince him to put his
                      documentation into the files section of the group when he gets back from
                      his conference. One of the reasons he chose this project is because a lot
                      of cooks were looking for period flexible molds and he found them. Another
                      reason is because this is something that is *very* easy and anyone can do
                      it for themselves - big points with him.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina de la my hubby is away until Sunday........