Re: [Authentic_SCA] Kamakura

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2000
      Shalom, Lady Fujiwara!

      I am very impressed at your hat-making skills! I don't know if I'd ever
      have patience to do that myself. ;) I also love your Pennsic story! I'm
      happy that you can actually speak Japanese...Not many Arab personae can
      speak Arabic, likewise Anglo-Saxon, Medieval Spanish (as opposed to the
      modern version which many people like to speak; any Spanish I use is 12th
      c.), Norse, etc. I'm just generally impressed!

      This is a picture of me at the Renaissance Faire. At the SCA event, I tied
      my hair up underneath the cloth and bound my legs with strips of linen up to
      the knees. I need to actually make a period kosode (the one I'm wearing has
      wrong sleeves; the modern kind).

      Oh, about 16th c. naming practices: would it be "given name" no "family
      name"? So, like Mitsuo no Higa? (Alright, Higa is Okinawan and Mitsuo may
      not be period, but I'll find an actual 16th c. Japanese name. Mitsuo and
      Higa are my mundane middle and last names).

      el Dio vos vala,
      Moshe
      --------------------------
      Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
      Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.
      "Miseravle! Porqué vienes agora
      Arecordarme del mal que yo pasí,
      Arecordarme de toda la mi vida?"
      --anon. sefardí
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
        Shalom, Lady Fujiwara!

        I am very impressed at your hat-making skills! I don't know if I'd ever
        have patience to do that myself. ;) I also love your Pennsic story! I'm
        happy that you can actually speak Japanese...Not many Arab personae can
        speak Arabic, likewise Anglo-Saxon, Medieval Spanish (as opposed to the
        modern version which many people like to speak; any Spanish I use is 12th
        c.), Norse, etc. I'm just generally impressed!

        Well, I came by it honestly. It was my major in college (BA in Japanese
        Studies) and I spent my junior year living with a family in Kyoto.

        I might mention that I don't speak medieval/classical Japanese, which is
        quite a different thing. But I have a friend who does (Master Edward of
        Effingham, mundanely studying for his Ph.D. in the subject). He often
        baffles me with poetry in that language!

        This is a picture of me at the Renaissance Faire. At the SCA event, I tied
        my hair up underneath the cloth and bound my legs with strips of linen up to
        the knees. I need to actually make a period kosode (the one I'm wearing has
        wrong sleeves; the modern kind).

        The impression looks great, though.

        Have you seen my article on beginning Japanese garb:
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html

        The figures aren't there yet, but I'll try to have them up today or tomrrow.

        Oh, about 16th c. naming practices: would it be "given name" no "family
        name"? So, like Mitsuo no Higa? (Alright, Higa is Okinawan and Mitsuo may
        not be period, but I'll find an actual 16th c. Japanese name. Mitsuo and
        Higa are my mundane middle and last names).

        I admit that I am not an expert on medieval naming practices, but it has
        been "Family name" no "given name" since time immemorial. I don't know
        enough to tell you, however, whether Higa no Mitsuo would be period-correct
        or not.

        Fujiwara is my surname. But it is terribly impolite to call someone by
        their given name in Japanese society of that time. Even my lord would not
        "embarass" me like that in public, though he may call me "Aoi" in private.
        Medieval Japanese is very well understood but a very different thing from
        the modern world. Many famous people are only known by their nicknames
        today (Murasaki Shikibu, Sei Shonagon, Lady Sarashina...) because of the
        fact that it was rude to be so direct as to say someone's name.

        Your correspondent from the East,
        Fujiwara
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2000
          > Well, I came by it honestly. It was my major in college (BA in Japanese
          > Studies) and I spent my junior year living with a family in Kyoto.
          >
          > I might mention that I don't speak medieval/classical Japanese, which is
          > quite a different thing. But I have a friend who does (Master Edward of
          > Effingham, mundanely studying for his Ph.D. in the subject). He often
          > baffles me with poetry in that language!

          Oh, wow! I recently was raving about the cool people I've met/heard about
          on-line to some other SCAdians (I was explaining why I feel like the SCA is
          cooler when reading/talking to people about it on-line than when I'm
          actually at events ;)) and you and your friend were certainly at the top of
          the list!

          Why doesn't Master Edward have a Japanese persona? ;) Or does he?

          > Have you seen my article on beginning Japanese garb:
          > http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html
          >
          > The figures aren't there yet, but I'll try to have them up today or tomrrow.

          Yes! thank you very much for putting that up there. I'm going to go
          looking for some hemp fabric sometime soon and try my hand at some sashiko
          quilting...Is hemp terribly expensive?

          Thanks also for the name hints...I'm at a university so I have access to a
          great library as well as some great faculty...I suppose I should take
          advantage of that. ;) I've definitely done it with medieval music, so names
          and costumes are next on my list.

          el Dió vos guadre,
          --Moshe ha-'Ebed ben Yishma'el
          (Don Mossé Mantega)
          (Sayyad Musa ibn Isma'il al-'Abri al-Kastilya)
          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          Sing for joy to the Lord, all the earth!
          Worship the Lord gladly,
          and come before him with joyful songs!
          (Psalm 100:1-2)
          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        • Stephen Higa
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2000
            Shalom Doña Fujiwara,

            I was wondering if you could help me with a possible Muromachi period
            persona:

            I want to wear more peasant-ish clothing, yet I also want to participate in
            more courtly arts such as poetry, calligraphy, painting, etc...If there is
            no way that I could be a villager and still practice those arts, then I will
            consider dressing as a lesser noble. Or perhaps I can be a zen monk? Of
            course, I would have to shave my head...Arrghh!

            BTW--Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

            Your correspondent from the West (Western for now, anyways),

            ----------
            >From: "Stephen Higa" <mitsuo@...>
            >To: Authentic_SCA@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Kamakura
            >Date: Tue, Nov 21, 2000, 6:55 PM
            >

            >> Well, I came by it honestly. It was my major in college (BA in Japanese
            >> Studies) and I spent my junior year living with a family in Kyoto.
            >>
            >> I might mention that I don't speak medieval/classical Japanese, which is
            >> quite a different thing. But I have a friend who does (Master Edward of
            >> Effingham, mundanely studying for his Ph.D. in the subject). He often
            >> baffles me with poetry in that language!
            >
            > Oh, wow! I recently was raving about the cool people I've met/heard about
            > on-line to some other SCAdians (I was explaining why I feel like the SCA is
            > cooler when reading/talking to people about it on-line than when I'm
            > actually at events ;)) and you and your friend were certainly at the top of
            > the list!
            >
            > Why doesn't Master Edward have a Japanese persona? ;) Or does he?
            >
            >> Have you seen my article on beginning Japanese garb:
            >> http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html
            >>
            >> The figures aren't there yet, but I'll try to have them up today or tomrrow.
            >
            > Yes! thank you very much for putting that up there. I'm going to go
            > looking for some hemp fabric sometime soon and try my hand at some sashiko
            > quilting...Is hemp terribly expensive?
            >
            > Thanks also for the name hints...I'm at a university so I have access to a
            > great library as well as some great faculty...I suppose I should take
            > advantage of that. ;) I've definitely done it with medieval music, so names
            > and costumes are next on my list.
            >
            > el Dió vos guadre,
            > --Moshe ha-'Ebed ben Yishma'el
            > (Don Mossé Mantega)
            > (Sayyad Musa ibn Isma'il al-'Abri al-Kastilya)
            > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
            > Sing for joy to the Lord, all the earth!
            > Worship the Lord gladly,
            > and come before him with joyful songs!
            > (Psalm 100:1-2)

          • Kass McGann
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2000
              Oh, wow! I recently was raving about the cool people I've met/heard about
              on-line to some other SCAdians (I was explaining why I feel like the SCA is
              cooler when reading/talking to people about it on-line than when I'm
              actually at events ;)) and you and your friend were certainly at the top of
              the list!

              Thanks, Moshe. You do our hearts good.

              Why doesn't Master Edward have a Japanese persona? ;) Or does he?

              He does. He just had this one for so long that he is afraid to start
              calling himself something else for fear no one would know him.

              Yes! thank you very much for putting that up there. I'm going to go
              looking for some hemp fabric sometime soon and try my hand at some sashiko
              quilting...Is hemp terribly expensive?

              Hemp is terribly expensive since it's not allowed to be grown in the US. It
              often exceeds $18 a yard (more than silk!). I would suggest using linen as
              a substitute. It looks very similar and is from a similar plant. Go to
              fabrics-store.com for great prices. Also, since silk can sometimes be had
              for $6 a yard, try silkconnection.com. Just avoid making things out of silk
              noil (aka "raw silk"). It's not period and it tends to fall apart.

              By the way, sashiko quilting started in the 18th century. But if you're
              doing it for non-SCA purposes, go right ahead.

              Thanks also for the name hints...I'm at a university so I have access to a
              great library as well as some great faculty...I suppose I should take
              advantage of that. ;) I've definitely done it with medieval music, so names
              and costumes are next on my list.

              Good for you!

              Kass/Fujiwara
            • Stephen Higa
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 27, 2000
                > Hemp is terribly expensive since it's not allowed to be grown in the US. It
                > often exceeds $18 a yard (more than silk!). I would suggest using linen as
                > a substitute. It looks very similar and is from a similar plant. Go to
                > fabrics-store.com for great prices. Also, since silk can sometimes be had
                > for $6 a yard, try silkconnection.com. Just avoid making things out of silk
                > noil (aka "raw silk"). It's not period and it tends to fall apart.

                Okay, thanks...

                > By the way, sashiko quilting started in the 18th century. But if you're
                > doing it for non-SCA purposes, go right ahead.

                Oh, really? I don't mean the patterned kind, but the utilitarian straight
                kind for repairing garments...would that be period? If not, how would the
                non-nobility have repaired their old clothes? I love the look of
                well-wornedness (not a word, but then again, I don't speak these Western
                tongues so well ;)). With my Jewish garb, I have tried to get the same
                "worn look" you see in National Geographic pictures of Middle-Easterners...

                Moshe