Re: cooler-less camping

  • Lura
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2002
      Message: 21
      Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:19:38 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@...>
      Subject: events without a cooler (long and slightly meandering)

      Okay, All of this is off the top of my head, so I cannot promise

      that it
      isn't a total repeat of the article.

      while food pathology is not my specialty, I have spent a
      number of years working with pathogens of all sorts, and use
      knowledge in my dealing with non-cooler events. Also, no one I
      have ever
      fed has gotten sick from anything I served, so I guess it works

      that being said, on to the fun. To me, non-cooler cooking is
      really the
      absolute best way to go. Despina and I do it as often as
      possible, and it
      makes life easier and less expensive. I don't have to worry
      about ice,
      and best of all, I can buy ingredients when they come on sale
      and just
      keep them around until I need them.

      I have two very different methods of dealing with events, based
      on the
      length of the event and the type of cooking apparati available
      on site.
      I'll start with the short event/day-trip. This counts for 1-2
      day events.

      Often with short events, of about 1-2 days, I'll pick a menu of
      items that
      either need minimal heating/cooking or were served cold in
      period. there
      are a lot of items (including meat items) that were served
      "cold" and are
      therefore ideal. I avoid any recipes that are served hot, as
      the flavor
      and texture will not be as they would have been, and I've often
      found that
      if something in period was written down, there is a reason for
      it (I could
      digress with an example, but I'll just say "cut deviled eggs
      thread"). So when a dish says "serve cold" that's probably the
      best way
      to serve it. Sure enough, with the gefuellte roest it would
      probably be
      nasty served hot, I won't even bother trying it, as I am not a
      fan of
      boiled beef.

      Many items that have been cooked can sit around at room temp for

      a day or
      so without adverse effects. Remember that bacteria don't
      magically appear
      all over your food. They also don't have an "r" of 30seconds
      intrinsic growth rate, sorry). If they did, how many males
      would have
      died in college from eating cold pizza? So if you cook it the
      before you head to the event, keep it in a cool, dark place,
      many items
      will be fine. If you want, you can test this ahead. Make the
      dish, leave
      it in a chest at home and see if it seems okay.

      Let us digress now to telling if things are bad:
      fuzzy is bad. colored splotches are bad. If there is a slimy
      coating and
      it's not oil, that's bad. Smell it. If it smells different
      than it
      should, don't eat it (I'd say "if it smells bad" but some things

      smell unpleasant taste good). Use common sense here.

      Raw dairy products don't hold up well. Cheese isn't raw.
      Usually, if
      you've cooked the item first, it will hold up better. Veggies
      haven't been in the refrigerator will last longer. Also, if
      they haven't
      been sprayed every five minutes in the grocery store, that helps

      Hard cheeses work better than soft cheeses. Butter is a
      problem, but lard
      works well and was often preferred in period. There are a
      number of
      german recipes that basically say "if you can't use lard you can

      just use

      Okay, what about longer events? well, SALTED MEAT is great. It

      takes time to unsalt it. Pickled meat for those of the
      persuasion and other areas too. Cured meat. Now something to
      keep in
      mind: smoked food is NOT ALL PRESERVED. a cold smoke (<80F)
      while a smoking temp above 80 cooks. cold smoked food stays
      longer. There are even directions for a simiple (post period)
      cold smoker
      on Foodtv.com under Good Eats (One of my favs!).

      I think the rest of this is covered pretty well in the article,
      but as it
      says at the end I WOULD LOVE TO HELP. I'd be happy to help you
      pick a set
      of recipes for an event or whatever, just email me. Note that
      heilveil@... will get to me fast. If you email to the list

      sometimes takes a while because I don't always have time to read

      the list.

      Hope this wasn't too too discombobulated.

      Do You Yahoo!?