Re: events without a cooler (long and slightly meandering)

  • maud_de_clayton
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2002
      > At 08:56 PM 5/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
      > >I used a fabulous book,
      > >which I naturally cannot find. It's by Carla Emery and is called
      one or
      > >more of the following: An Old Fashioned Recipe Book, The School of
      Country
      > >Living Cookbook, or similar. Carla's a back-to-the-lander in Iowa
      who does
      > >it ALL herself. And she's collected beelyons of recipes and hints
      from
      > >others like her.
      >
      > Ah, but it's not period. The stuff that Bogdan and I do is
      completely
      > period and therefore, we like it better. There are *many* fabulous
      period
      > cook books that have receipts which can be used or adapted for
      weekend or
      > day events - even Pennsic. I don't believe we've ever made food at
      Pennsic
      > that wasn't period-correct.
      >
      > I'm sure your book is nice, Medinia, but it's not period.
      >
      > Smiles,
      > Despina

      No, not period, but full of information on techniques (something the
      majority of period "cookbooks" are woefully lacking). The techniques
      may or may not be period, but provide one with some "base knowledge"
      from which to work with existing historic recipes. This is
      particularly important when preserving foods; do something the wrong
      way, and people can get sick.

      Just in case people have picked up on this discussion mid-thread,
      this needs to be repeated: Bogdan is *very* well-versed in the proper
      methods of food handling and preserving (as is Despina). They have
      the knowledge necessary to take a straight medieval recipe and use
      it. On behalf of everybody that will eat someone else's cooking at an
      event, please make sure you are familiar with proper food handling
      and preserving techniques and rules *before* you launch into
      preparing a medieval recipe for a multi-day field event.

      Maud
      (who feels ptomaine poisoning twice in 6 months is 2 cases too many)