dried foods and pickled meat

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2002
      There are some comments throughout the period corpus on dried foods. If I
      get a chance this weekend, I'll try to hunt some down. No promises
      though.

      The Lord's Salt recipe from the Miscelleny (or Miscellany, depending on
      the version you have) is:
      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf
      Page 141
      The following is Duke Cariadoc's text:
      Lord's Salt

      Icelandic p. 215/D1

      One shall take cloves and mace, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger an
      equal weight of each except cinnamon, of which there shall be just as much
      as of all the others, and as much baked bread as all that has been said
      above. And he shall cut it all together and grind it in strong vinegar;
      and put it in a cask. That is their salt and it is good for half a year.

      How to Make Use of the Salt Spoken of Above

      Icelandic p. 215/D1

      When a man wants to use of this salt, he shall boil it in a pan over coals
      without flame. Then he shall take venison of hart or roe and carefully
      garnish with fat and roast it. And cut it up well burned; and when the
      salt is cold than the meat shall be cut up therein with a little salt.
      Then it can lie for three weeks. So a man may long keep geese, ducks, and
      other game if he cuts them thin. This is the best salt the gentry have.

      4 grams each of cloves, mace, etc.
      20 g of cinnamon
      40 g of breadcrumbs
      4 c strong vinegar

      I add 1 t of salt to 3 T of the spice mixture, 3 T of breadcrumbs and 2 c
      of vinegar, simmer it briefly, then use it to preserve a 2 c container of
      cooked, sliced meat or fowl (1 to 1 1/2 lb).

      Notes: We tried this recipe in order to have a way of storing meat without
      refrigeration for long events, such as Pennsic. In our experience, meat
      preserved this way keeps several weeks without refrigeration; it should
      then be used in recipes that include vinegar, since it tastes rather sour.

      Ordinary vinegar is 5%, which is just barely strong enough, so we normally
      mix it with stronger vinegar ("75 grain") from a gourmet food store.

      !Warning!

      Preserving foods can be dangerous; if you experiment with this recipe, be
      careful. According to our researches, either using vinegar of at least 5%
      acidity or boiling for 15 minutes before eating will protect you from
      botulism; we strongly advise doing both. We take no responsibility for the
      result of trying this recipe; before doing so, you may want to read up on
      methods and hazards of preserving food.

      If you cannot explain it in a sentence, then you don't truly understand
      it.
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois