Re: Re: [Authentic_SCA] events without a cooler (long and slightly meandering)

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2002
      I suggest it as a start for those without your resources. And, frankly, I built up a sound modern knowledge of modern food safety before I started judging whether period practices were safe enough for me to risk. I am not suggesting that your methods are not safe, merely that I am more timid in that area. What is the period method for drying meat? I smoked mine over a wood fire. (paraphrasing) 'take strips of meat, sliced thin across the grain, soak in salt brine (various spices can be added), hang over a smoky fire until dry. Reconstitute by soaking, or make into soup'.

      Madinia