portable camping stuff

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 28 , May 9 9:00 AM
      The list look interesting.
      A couple of questions: If you are in Byzantia, why use clay pots? I know
      the reference is slightly past your period, but there is a reference to
      tinned pots and how it is better to use stone than one that has lost its
      tinning.

      Also, why use an ice chest? Despina and I don't when we go to pennsic.
      It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.

      Just my .02
      Nose headed back to the grindstone.
      Bogdan

      If you cannot explain it in a sentence, then you don't truly understand
      it.
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      lab: (217) 333-2929
    • Stephen Bergdahl
      Message 2 of 28 , May 9 9:27 AM
        Jeff Heilveil wrote:

        I want to use clay pots because it is my feeling that they were more
        common than metal cooking pots. Metal was expensive and hard to work
        with, clay on the other hand is very common and earlier to work with. I
        also have references to the Byzantine using clay cooking pots. And clay
        pots are very common at most Viking sites.

        My hope is not to use an ice chest, but having a degree in Food Service
        proper temp control and sanitation is very important to me. Plus I have
        a small son, and a wife with a very picky stomach. So I have to be
        careful.

        I would be interested in hearing how you do pensic without an ice chest.

        Yours Lord Vich

        > The list look interesting.
        > A couple of questions: If you are in Byzantia, why use clay pots? I
        > know
        > the reference is slightly past your period, but there is a reference
        > tinned pots and how it is better to use stone than one that has lost
        > its
        > tinning.
        >
        > Also, why use an ice chest? Despina and I don't when we go to
        > pennsic.
        > It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.
        >
        > Just my .02
        > Nose headed back to the grindstone.
        > Bogdan
      • Jeff Gedney
        Message 3 of 28 , May 9 11:23 AM
          Hello Bogdan!

          > I want to use clay pots because it is my feeling that they were more
          > common than metal cooking pots. Metal was expensive and hard to work
          > with, clay on the other hand is very common and earlier to work with. I
          > also have references to the Byzantine using clay cooking pots. And clay
          > pots are very common at most Viking sites.

          By the 14th century, Cast iron as a technology was not that uncommon.
          By the end of the 15th century nearly every household had at least one,
          though it frequently served multiple uses in the household. There are
          manuscript illustrations of large footed cast iron kettles being used
          to bathe the baby.

          I am suspicious of any blanket claims that clay would have been used
          predominantly without support. I cannot conceive of a clay pot big
          enough to make two hogsheads (about 300 - 700 gallons! -depending on
          the measure of hogshead) of ale a week, but that is fairly well
          established to be the quantity produced by the housewife of a moderate
          household by the death of Henry VII.

          Elias Gedney

          Love is like a boomerang, It only comes back to you if you throw it really
          hard.
        • Jeff Gedney
          Message 4 of 28 , May 9 11:26 AM
            I just got my grades for the Research paper class.

            "A" for the oral presentation
            "A" for the final paper

            "A" for the course

            I posted the Paper to the Files section early last week, and I have seen no
            comment on it.
            I had hoped somebody here would have read it... <pout>

            Elias Gedney

            Love is like a boomerang, It only comes back to you if you throw it really
            hard.
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 28 , May 9 11:28 AM
              > > Also, why use an ice chest? Despina and I don't when we go to pennsic.
              > > It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.
              > >
              > > Just my .02
              > > Nose headed back to the grindstone.
              > > Bogdan
              >

              >I reallly want to learn about this Bogdan.
              >
              >When you come up for air again would you mind teaching the basics?

              He's written an article on it that can be found here:
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Eatng-Pennsic-art.text

              He's usually pretty happy helping people find better ways to eat without a
              cooler. *grin* I know he has a couple more things to do in the lab today,
              but I'm sure he'll be online again before he goes to bed. *wink*

              I can give you the menu that we had last weekend at Northshield Coronet
              Tournament and Investiture. The drive was 12 hours one way and we didn't
              have a cooler for the drive or the event. This is typical of the sort of
              food we have at events for lunch - no cooler involved.

              We drank water throughout the day that we brought with us.

              tarts de brie - tarts, crust was a simple flour, water mix, filling was
              brie, ginger and a little sugar

              Gefu:ellte ro:est - yes, we had the meat stuffed meat for lunch. It's
              supposed to be served cool anyway. this is the brisket cut in half and
              stuffed with a mixture of roast, salted bacon, and cabbage, sewn together
              and then boiled until done.

              Pears - we like pears and they're period

              Pear tarts - simple crust, layer of thinly sliced (peeled) pears, some
              butter, another layer of thinly sliced pears, more butter, some cinnamon
              and sugar on top then baked until done.

              Dried apricots - to munch through the day

              Pistachios- also to munch through the day

              We had rolls with us but didn't take them out or eat them.
              We also had some gouda cheese with us, which also didn't get taken out or
              eaten.

              This was a lunch to feed four, and it did very admirably.

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • Steven Proctor
              Message 6 of 28 , May 9 11:29 AM
                WooHoo! Way to go Bran! :-D

                I've poked at it, but I haven't actually sat down and read the whole
                thing all the way through. Good opening, I thought. Catches the
                attention. :-)

                Ta

                Morgan

                Jeff Gedney wrote:

                > I just got my grades for the Research paper class.
                >
                > "A" for the oral presentation
                > "A" for the final paper
                >
                > "A" for the course
                >
                > I posted the Paper to the Files section early last week, and I have
                > seen no
                > comment on it.
                > I had hoped somebody here would have read it... <pout>
                >
                > Elias Gedney
                >
                > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                > Love is like a boomerang, It only comes back to you if you throw it
                > really
                > hard.
                > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > [Click Here!]

                It's 6:15, she thought, and the newspaper should be here by now, then
                she opened her door and realized with disgust that the paper boy was
                still in her bedroom.

                GH/TW d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
                DI++ D G e+>e++ r* z++ k++ !f X+
              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 28 , May 9 11:30 AM
                  At 02:26 PM 5/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
                  >I just got my grades for the Research paper class.
                  >
                  >"A" for the oral presentation
                  >"A" for the final paper
                  >
                  >"A" for the course

                  Congratulations, woohoo!, ViVant! Huzzah! Hubah! and all the other jazz
                  that says great job!

                  >I posted the Paper to the Files section early last week, and I have seen no
                  >comment on it.
                  >I had hoped somebody here would have read it... <pout>

                  I'll print it out and read it while sitting in bed this afternoon. Sorry I
                  didn't get to it earlier. I'm battling a particularly nasty sinus
                  infection and am about to retire for the day.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 9 11:44 AM
                    At 02:34 PM 5/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:

                    >Thanks Despina for the url and thank you for the example!
                    >
                    >That was extremely helpful.

                    You're welcome. I thought of another period lunch from an event in February.

                    Meat in pastry with a pepper sauce - was exactly what it sounds like.
                    *grin* The pepper sauce was poured into a hole in the coffin (pastry
                    sourrounding the meat). We actually put it on the side, I think, to make
                    it easier to eat without utensils

                    Cinnamon pie - simple crust, filling is eggs, cinnamon and almonds (yes,
                    this was part of the Spring Faire menu too, we had to try the stuff!)

                    Endive salad - we had the endive in a plastic ziploc and poured it into a
                    serving bowl then dressed it with oil, vinegar, and salt. it wasn't soggy.

                    Pistachios - for munching through the day
                    Apples and Pears - for munching
                    I'm pretty sure we had some cheese as well.

                    I know we had more at this event to eat but I can't think of it right
                    now. We were feeding either 8 or 10 for this lunch. Very few people could
                    finish their entire lunch. *grin*

                    >Yer a doll!!!

                    Of course I am! *grin* I'm about to go lay in bed again.

                    >*PA is calling youuuuuuuu*

                    Again? Last week it was NJ. LOL!

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 9 12:41 PM

                      > Cinnamon pie - simple crust, filling is eggs, cinnamon and almonds (yes,
                      > this was part of the Spring Faire menu too, we had to try the stuff!)
                      Must try. Would recipe be available, pretty please?

                      drooollll

                      >> *PA is calling youuuuuuuu*
                      >
                      > Again?  Last week it was NJ.  LOL!

                      no, no i am pretty sure it was PA

                      it's close to NJ anyway.
                      *probably* NJ was saying come to PA so you will be close to it.
                      not move to NJ.
                      ^_^
                      I am sure that is what it was

                      Ysse's right, you know. PA is calling you.

                      man it is gorgeous out here!
                      I am so glad we moved, save for the people I had hoped to meet.

                      Isn't it bee yoo tee full, Ysse? Us flatlanders really enjoy all these purty mountains!

                      Alisone

                      BUT there is always pennsic and I am going to be there!

                      *does pennsic dance*

                      Ysabella

                    • aheilvei
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 9 12:55 PM
                        > > Cinnamon pie - simple crust, filling is eggs, cinnamon and
                        almonds (yes, this was part of the Spring Faire menu too, we had to
                        try the stuff!)
                        > Must try. Would recipe be available, pretty please?

                        In the files, under Despina and Bogdan is the full feast booklet from
                        Spring Faire. it contains this recipt.

                        > no, no i am pretty sure it was PA
                        >
                        > it's close to NJ anyway.
                        > *probably* NJ was saying come to PA so you will be close to it.
                        > not move to NJ.
                        > ^_^
                        > I am sure that is what it was
                        >
                        > Ysse's right, you know. PA is calling you.

                        Weelllll, Bogdan's going to visit PA for a conference. maybe it got
                        mixed up. He's not going to do much of anything but his conference
                        though. I'll be in PA this summer - for Pennsic! *grin*

                        Smiles,
                        Despina de la going back to her sick bed now
                      • marshamclean@rogers.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 9 1:09 PM
                          Mount Holly? As in between Grand Blanc and Fenton? Is this a Michigan girl I see before me?

                          Madinia

                          > From: Zohra Rawling <zisaac@...>
                          > Date: 2002/05/09 Thu PM 06:53:52 EDT
                          > To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] portable camping stuff
                          >

                          > --On Thursday, May 9, 2002 3:41 PM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                          > <goofy1@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Isn't it bee yoo tee full, Ysse? Us flatlanders really enjoy all these
                          > > purty mountains!
                          > >
                          > > Alisone
                          >
                          > yesh it is!!!
                          >
                          > I can see mountains from house
                          >
                          > reall live mountains...not "mount holly"
                          > I am talking *mountains* and *huge* tracks of land
                          >
                          > *giggle*
                          > and there is a huge river and fog!!
                          > and it is all so magical in the morning...ooooooaahhhhhhh
                          >

                          > ysse

                        • Rich Auklandus
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 9 1:09 PM
                            Hah. You call THOSE mountains?

                            Come to California where we REALLY have mountains. I can see them from my
                            office window. Snow and everything. AND gambling in them thar mountains.

                            Gaius
                            <COME WEST.....>

                            >From: Zohra Rawling <zisaac@...>
                            >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] portable camping stuff
                            >Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:53:52 -0700
                            >

                            >--On Thursday, May 9, 2002 3:41 PM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                            ><goofy1@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Isn't it bee yoo tee full, Ysse? Us flatlanders really enjoy all these
                            > > purty mountains!
                            > >
                            > > Alisone
                            >
                            >yesh it is!!!
                            >
                            >I can see mountains from house
                            >
                            >reall live mountains...not "mount holly"
                            >I am talking *mountains* and *huge* tracks of land
                            >
                            >*giggle*
                            >and there is a huge river and fog!!
                            >and it is all so magical in the morning...ooooooaahhhhhhh
                            >

                            >ysse

                          • Stephen Bergdahl
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 9 1:42 PM
                              Elias I would agree that a pot big enough for 300 gallons would be
                              metal, as the later you get the more metal pots you get. I am dealing
                              with a Viking pots, 8-9th Century. That is why I want to use clay. And
                              I am sure that most Viking house holds had a large metal pot, made by
                              over lapping plates. But I just don't want to deal with having it made
                              and then having to carry it. Mexican made clay cooking pots can be
                              found here in California, and they are very close to the period forms.

                              Lord Vich

                              Lord Vich

                              Jeff Gedney wrote:

                              > By the 14th century, Cast iron as a technology was not that uncommon.
                              > By the end of the 15th century nearly every household had at least
                              > one,
                              > though it frequently served multiple uses in the household. There are
                              > manuscript illustrations of large footed cast iron kettles being used
                              > to bathe the baby.
                              >
                              > I am suspicious of any blanket claims that clay would have been used
                              > predominantly without support. I cannot conceive of a clay pot big
                              > enough to make two hogsheads (about 300 - 700 gallons! -depending on
                              > the measure of hogshead) of ale a week, but that is fairly well
                              > established to be the quantity produced by the housewife of a moderate
                              > household by the death of Henry VII.
                              >
                              > Elias Gedney
                            • Zohra Rawling
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 9 1:45 PM
                                --On Thursday, May 9, 2002 11:00 AM -0500 Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Also, why use an ice chest? Despina and I don't when we go to pennsic.
                                > It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.
                                >
                                > Just my .02
                                > Nose headed back to the grindstone.
                                > Bogdan

                                I reallly want to learn about this Bogdan.

                                When you come up for air again would you mind teaching the basics?

                                ^_^

                                I won't do it this year, but next year is fair game!

                                Ysabella...has furniture again!!!
                                woo hooo!!!
                              • Jeanne Harney
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 9 1:50 PM
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 9 2:09 PM
                                    Now, now--we do have lots of rivers in "ye auld homeland"...let's not get carried away!

                                    Alisone

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 9 2:14 PM
                                      Been west. Spent three years in Arizona. Didn't like it. ( Too hot, too hot, too HOT!)

                                      Alisone

                                      likes the East Coast
                                      Come to California where we REALLY have mountains. I can see them from my
                                      office window. Snow and everything. AND gambling in them thar mountains.

                                      Gaius
                                      <COME WEST.....>

                                      >From: Zohra Rawling <zisaac@...>
                                      >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] portable camping stuff
                                      >Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:53:52 -0700
                                      >

                                      >--On Thursday, May 9, 2002 3:41 PM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                                      ><goofy1@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Isn't it bee yoo tee full, Ysse? Us flatlanders really enjoy all these
                                      > > purty mountains!
                                      > >
                                      > > Alisone
                                      >
                                      >yesh it is!!!
                                      >
                                      >I can see mountains from house
                                      >
                                      >reall live mountains...not "mount holly"
                                      >I am talking *mountains* and *huge* tracks of land
                                      >
                                      >*giggle*
                                      >and there is a huge river and fog!!
                                      >and it is all so magical in the morning...ooooooaahhhhhhh
                                      >

                                      >ysse

                                    • Zohra Rawling

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 9 2:50 PM

                                          > You're welcome. I thought of another period lunch from an event in
                                          > February.

                                          yay!! more examples!

                                          > Meat in pastry with a pepper sauce - was exactly what it sounds like.
                                          > *grin* The pepper sauce was poured into a hole in the coffin (pastry
                                          > sourrounding the meat). We actually put it on the side, I think, to make
                                          > it easier to eat without utensils

                                          like a dipping sauce?

                                          > Cinnamon pie - simple crust, filling is eggs, cinnamon and almonds (yes,
                                          > this was part of the Spring Faire menu too, we had to try the stuff!)

                                          drooollll

                                          > I know we had more at this event to eat but I can't think of it right
                                          > now. We were feeding either 8 or 10 for this lunch. Very few people
                                          > could finish their entire lunch. *grin*

                                          well this is really helpful for me.
                                          For some reason I always need examples and then my brain says "oh ok!"

                                          >> Yer a doll!!!
                                          >
                                          > Of course I am! *grin* I'm about to go lay in bed again.

                                          LOL!

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 9 3:53 PM

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 9 4:19 PM
                                              --On Thursday, May 9, 2002 4:09 PM -0400 marshamclean@... wrote:

                                              > Mount Holly? As in between Grand Blanc and Fenton? Is this a Michigan
                                              > girl I see before me?
                                              >
                                              > Madinia

                                              LOL!

                                              yes it 'tis

                                              ^_^

                                              but she ran to PA and is very happy too!

                                              Ysabella
                                            • Zohra Rawling
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 9 4:20 PM
                                                --On Thursday, May 9, 2002 1:09 PM -0700 Rich Auklandus
                                                <vsct_caius@...> wrote:

                                                > Hah. You call THOSE mountains?
                                                >
                                                > Come to California where we REALLY have mountains. I can see them from my
                                                > office window. Snow and everything. AND gambling in them thar mountains.
                                                >
                                                > Gaius
                                                > <COME WEST.....>

                                                I working through them slowly

                                                ^_^

                                                don't want me to loose my or anything with those giant-ee-moose mountains

                                                LOL

                                                ysse
                                              • Zohra Rawling
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 9 5:19 PM
                                                  --On Thursday, May 9, 2002 5:09 PM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                                                  <goofy1@...> wrote:

                                                  > Now, now--we do have lots of rivers in "ye auld homeland"...let's not get
                                                  > carried away!
                                                  >
                                                  > Alisone

                                                  yeah but the huron has nothing on this one

                                                  LOL

                                                  although I do miss the great lakes

                                                  boy I bet everyone is realllly interested LOL

                                                  *sorry back to your original programming*

                                                  ysse
                                                • MarshaMclean
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 9 8:56 PM
                                                    Ahhh. I grew up in Flint and now I'm in Toronto. Small world.

                                                    Madinia
                                                    > > Mount Holly? As in between Grand Blanc and Fenton? Is this a Michigan
                                                    > > girl I see before me?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Madinia
                                                    > >

                                                    > LOL!
                                                    >
                                                    > yes it 'tis
                                                    >
                                                    > ^_^
                                                    >
                                                    > but she ran to PA and is very happy too!
                                                    >
                                                    > Ysabella

                                                  • MarshaMclean
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 9 9:04 PM
                                                      Funny!  I spent a summer in Oregon.  They said to bring sweaters 'cause it's cool there in summers.  Naturally, they broke heat records that year...

                                                      Madinia
                                                      Been west. Spent three years in Arizona. Didn't like it. ( Too hot, too hot, too HOT!)

                                                      Alisone

                                                      likes the East Coast
                                                      Come to California where we REALLY have mountains. I can see them from my
                                                      office window. Snow and everything. AND gambling in them thar mountains.

                                                      Gaius
                                                      <COME WEST.....>

                                                      >From: Zohra Rawling <zisaac@...>
                                                      >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                                                      >Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] portable camping stuff
                                                      >Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:53:52 -0700
                                                      >

                                                      >--On Thursday, May 9, 2002 3:41 PM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                                                      ><goofy1@...> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > > Isn't it bee yoo tee full, Ysse? Us flatlanders really enjoy all these
                                                      > > purty mountains!
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Alisone
                                                      >
                                                      >yesh it is!!!
                                                      >
                                                      >I can see mountains from house
                                                      >
                                                      >reall live mountains...not "mount holly"
                                                      >I am talking *mountains* and *huge* tracks of land
                                                      >
                                                      >*giggle*
                                                      >and there is a huge river and fog!!
                                                      >and it is all so magical in the morning...ooooooaahhhhhhh
                                                      >

                                                      >ysse

                                                    • Carolle M Cox
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 10 5:54 PM
                                                        > Also, why use an ice chest? Despina and I don't when we go to pennsic.
                                                        > It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.
                                                        >
                                                        > Just my .02
                                                        > Nose headed back to the grindstone.
                                                        > Bogdan

                                                        My lord Bogdan, further information is humbly begged! How do you do this???

                                                        Gerita
                                                      • Carolle M Cox
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 10 5:56 PM
                                                          Elias, i'm deeply sorry i didn't read that paper when you asked! Some how i
                                                          missed that post. But major Conga-Rats on the grade! For cryin' out loud,
                                                          man, looks like you didn't Need any comments!

                                                          Gleefully dancing along with you,

                                                          Gerita
                                                        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 13 7:16 AM
                                                            > > It's EASY and LESS EXPENSIVE to do all-period, non-cooler events.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Just my .02
                                                            > > Nose headed back to the grindstone.
                                                            > > Bogdan
                                                            >
                                                            >My lord Bogdan, further information is humbly begged! How do you do this???

                                                            If you check in the files section, in the folder called "Events without a
                                                            cooler" is his article from publication in the MK A&S thingy. If you'd
                                                            like more information than that, ask again! *grin* He usually can have
                                                            something more up his sleeve. But the article is pretty encompassing.

                                                            Smiles,
                                                            Despina