Re: [Authentic_SCA] Speaking of dyes, and silk...

  • Gwendoline Rosamond
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2002
      At 04:28 PM 5/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
      >At 01:54 PM 4/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
      >>You want the heaviest habotai you can find (habotai is a plain tabby
      >>weave, and even the 10mm habotai that Dharma carries is fairly light).
      >>A flat crepe might work, as well. The silk twill might work, too
      >>(it's got more body than the habotai, and the twill weave isn't that
      >>obvious, even when you're right on top of it).
      >>
      >>Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
      >>(http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
      >>might be closer to what you're looking for.
      >
      >Thanks! It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds
      >like it might be nice. Is there a difference between satin and something
      >not-so-shiny in how they dye? Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a
      >shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

      Nope. Silk for the most part dyes like silk... I can't think of any real
      exceptions. The only difference is weave structure, not fibre content. I
      think the 12mm is still going to be on the light side - you might want to
      try and get a sample first. Yes, shiny *silk* satin is correct for 16th
      century but man-made satins have a very different look to them.

      >>And yes, if you wash silk when you get it, and use washable notions
      >>and linings, etc, you can machine wash silk. I do it all the time.
      >
      >Oh, good! Machine washing makes life easier. :-)

      Yes, machine washing silk is a good thing. : )

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline