Re: [Authentic_SCA] Speaking of dyes, and silk...

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2002
      On Sun, 05 May 2002 16:28:00 -0700, Ariane Helou
      <ahelou@...> wrote:

      >Thanks! It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds like
      >it might be nice. Is there a difference between satin and something
      >not-so-shiny in how they dye?
      I haven't seen any difference (I've done crepe and satin in the same
      dyebath, and they've come out identically, except for the sheen). For
      some reason, though, the satin seems to 'billow' more than a flat
      crepe of the same weight....

      >Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a
      >shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

      I would think so. Silk satin isn't as shiny as a synthetic (or rayon)
      satin...it's more of a shimmer than a shine. (Keep in mind, however,
      that late (and post) period is not my strong suit....)

      stasia/jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2002
        At 04:28 PM 5/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
        >At 01:54 PM 4/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
        >>You want the heaviest habotai you can find (habotai is a plain tabby
        >>weave, and even the 10mm habotai that Dharma carries is fairly light).
        >>A flat crepe might work, as well. The silk twill might work, too
        >>(it's got more body than the habotai, and the twill weave isn't that
        >>obvious, even when you're right on top of it).
        >>
        >>Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
        >>(http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
        >>might be closer to what you're looking for.
        >
        >Thanks! It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds
        >like it might be nice. Is there a difference between satin and something
        >not-so-shiny in how they dye? Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a
        >shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

        Nope. Silk for the most part dyes like silk... I can't think of any real
        exceptions. The only difference is weave structure, not fibre content. I
        think the 12mm is still going to be on the light side - you might want to
        try and get a sample first. Yes, shiny *silk* satin is correct for 16th
        century but man-made satins have a very different look to them.

        >>And yes, if you wash silk when you get it, and use washable notions
        >>and linings, etc, you can machine wash silk. I do it all the time.
        >
        >Oh, good! Machine washing makes life easier. :-)

        Yes, machine washing silk is a good thing. : )

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline