Speaking of dyes, and silk...

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
      I've made a bold and somewhat rash decision.  For my next big costuming project this summer - one of those front-laced Venetian gowns - I plan to make the dress out of silk.  I have this idea that the dress should be red - like a cherry-red, not orangey - but red is such a finicky color and so rarely looks good on me that I will most likely dye it myself.  So, I'll probably order some stuff from Dharma.  The problem is, I have *no* clue what weight of silk would be appropriate.  I think the bodice of the gown would be backed with canvas or some other stiff material, and I definitely plan to put some boning in it.  So it has to be fairly sturdy, but not *too* heavy because I plan to wear it outdoors in the summer.  (Oh yeah, silk can be machine-washed, right?  I hope?  I want something I won't ruin on a camping trip...)
      Thanks for any help...I am totally textile-illiterate, but trying to become less so. :)

      Vittoria
      -----------------------------
      "Thus men of letters...turned to the trained and accomplished courtesans, regarding them somewhat as one regards a fair flower whose scent and beauty one enjoys without inquiring how and where it was grown."
                        -- Guido Biagi, Men and Manners of Old Florence
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
        On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:21:41 -0700, Ariane Helou
        <ahelou@...> wrote:

        > For my next big costuming
        >project this summer - one of those front-laced Venetian gowns - I plan to
        >make the dress out of silk.
        > So, I'll
        >probably order some stuff from Dharma. The problem is, I have *no* clue
        >what weight of silk would be appropriate. I think the bodice of the gown
        >would be backed with canvas or some other stiff material, and I definitely
        >plan to put some boning in it. So it has to be fairly sturdy, but not
        >*too* heavy because I plan to wear it outdoors in the summer. (Oh yeah,
        >silk can be machine-washed, right? I hope? I want something I won't ruin
        >on a camping trip...)

        You want the heaviest habotai you can find (habotai is a plain tabby
        weave, and even the 10mm habotai that Dharma carries is fairly light).
        A flat crepe might work, as well. The silk twill might work, too
        (it's got more body than the habotai, and the twill weave isn't that
        obvious, even when you're right on top of it).

        Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
        (http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
        might be closer to what you're looking for.

        And yes, if you wash silk when you get it, and use washable notions
        and linings, etc, you can machine wash silk. I do it all the time.

        nayy

        stasia
        --
        Jenn Ridley
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Jenn Ridley <jridley@c...> wrote:
          > Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
          > (http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
          > might be closer to what you're looking for.

          I seem to recall that fabric.com stocks something called silk matka
          or matika which is has a linen-like texture.

          Jehanne
        • Ariane Helou
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2002
            At 01:54 PM 4/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
            You want the heaviest habotai you can find (habotai is a plain tabby
            weave, and even the 10mm habotai that Dharma carries is fairly light).
            A flat crepe might work, as well.  The silk twill might work, too
            (it's got more body than the habotai, and the twill weave isn't that
            obvious, even when you're right on top of it).

            Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
            (http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
            might be closer to what you're looking for.

            Thanks!  It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds like it might be nice.  Is there a difference between satin and something not-so-shiny in how they dye?  Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

            And yes, if you wash silk when you get it, and use washable notions
            and linings, etc, you can machine wash silk.   I do it all the time.

            Oh, good!  Machine washing makes life easier. :-)

            thanks for your help!

            Vittoria
            -----------------------------
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2002
              On Sun, 05 May 2002 16:28:00 -0700, Ariane Helou
              <ahelou@...> wrote:

              >Thanks! It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds like
              >it might be nice. Is there a difference between satin and something
              >not-so-shiny in how they dye?
              I haven't seen any difference (I've done crepe and satin in the same
              dyebath, and they've come out identically, except for the sheen). For
              some reason, though, the satin seems to 'billow' more than a flat
              crepe of the same weight....

              >Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a
              >shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

              I would think so. Silk satin isn't as shiny as a synthetic (or rayon)
              satin...it's more of a shimmer than a shine. (Keep in mind, however,
              that late (and post) period is not my strong suit....)

              stasia/jenn
              --
              Jenn Ridley
              jridley@...
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2002
                At 04:28 PM 5/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                >At 01:54 PM 4/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
                >>You want the heaviest habotai you can find (habotai is a plain tabby
                >>weave, and even the 10mm habotai that Dharma carries is fairly light).
                >>A flat crepe might work, as well. The silk twill might work, too
                >>(it's got more body than the habotai, and the twill weave isn't that
                >>obvious, even when you're right on top of it).
                >>
                >>Silk Connection has a 12mm and a 16mm habotai
                >>(http://www.silkconnection.com/buysilk/silkpages/habotai.htm), which
                >>might be closer to what you're looking for.
                >
                >Thanks! It also says they have a silk satin (also 12mm)...that sounds
                >like it might be nice. Is there a difference between satin and something
                >not-so-shiny in how they dye? Oh yeah, and the obvious question...would a
                >shiny satin have been appropriate to the period (late-16thc.)?

                Nope. Silk for the most part dyes like silk... I can't think of any real
                exceptions. The only difference is weave structure, not fibre content. I
                think the 12mm is still going to be on the light side - you might want to
                try and get a sample first. Yes, shiny *silk* satin is correct for 16th
                century but man-made satins have a very different look to them.

                >>And yes, if you wash silk when you get it, and use washable notions
                >>and linings, etc, you can machine wash silk. I do it all the time.
                >
                >Oh, good! Machine washing makes life easier. :-)

                Yes, machine washing silk is a good thing. : )

                Cheers,
                Gwendoline