Re: Commercial Dye help

  • maud_de_clayton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "MarshaMclean" <marshamclean@r...> wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I need advice from an experienced dyer. I just purchased Dylon
      Cold dye to
      > use on cotton (no store near me has any good Warm Dye, or other
      brand,
      > colors in stock). Apparently, Dylon hasn't shipped any Cold Dye
      Fix for
      > many months. The package says you can fix the dye on wool with
      vinegar, but
      > that you need the dye fix for cotton. Is there anything I can use
      as a fix
      > for this type of dye? I am trying to acheive a bright color.
      >
      > I look forward to hearing from you,
      >
      > YIS~
      >
      > Madinia

      Hmmm...I'm not sure if Dylon acts exactly the same as Procion dyes,
      but if so, you need soda ash to fix the dye on cellulose fibers
      (cotton, linen, hemp, etc.). Salt will fix it somewhat, but the soda
      ash seems to be what really stabilizes bright colors and makes them
      colorfast.

      Maud