Greetings!

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 8, 2000
      Salud, and welcome to the Authentic SCA eGroup! My name is Moshe Mantega
      (aka Stephen Higa) and I'm a second-year student at the College of St.
      Katherine (UC Berkeley) with a major in history. My personal interests
      involve medieval music (I've actually been made a lord now, too, for my
      endeavors to recreate medieval musical traditions... :), and medieval Jewish
      religious thought and mysticism.

      As I said on the main page, please enjoy this list as a forum for helping
      each other grow in our historical accuracy and persona development. We
      should get discussions going about anything from clothing to food to music,
      as well as philosophical discussions regarding persona-play.

      I also hope to attract a healthy number of non-European personas to this
      group. Their stories about persona-play are quite interesting because they
      are not only removed in time but in cultural climate as well. I want to
      hear tales of Japanese women interacting with Westerners, Indian ascetics
      coming into contact with high medieval decadance, or even a Jewish mystic
      warning his Gentile neighbors about venturing out alone on the night after
      Sabbath for fear of certain demons.

      You know what? I'd like to see some religious ascetics in the SCA. We seem
      to have a few beggars, so why not ascetics? I'm sure there must be some out
      there. Moshe is actually a bit ascetic, so he refrains from fancy foods,
      fancy clothes, and intoxicants. The aforementioned example of a Jewish
      mystic warning his Gentile neighbors is actually something from my own
      experience. :)

      el Dio vos vala,
      Don Moshe Mantega
      "Foldatz ed e leujaria
      quar part vostres mandamens
      vos am, pero per nuls sens
      ma foudat no'm camiaria."
      --Berenguer de Palol (12th c.)
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 22, 2005
        Kammy wrote:

        > We are talking hives and the whole nine yards. She is definitely allergic.

        FWIW my mom is very allergic to wool, and she is Ok as long as the wool isn't in contact with her skin. It might be worthwhile to see if your baroness is willing to test this out.

        > I don't think she has a problem with synthetic furs, I know she is
        > hideously allergic to my cats. One hour without her meds and she
        > can't breath!

        Not all fur is the same, if she is interested in a real fur lining it might be worthwhile to test see if, say, sable is OK.

        On the other hand, being allergic to wool is totally period :) And a documentable solution for dealing with the problem is using silk instead.

        -Katherine

        Darth Vader: No disintegrations.
        Boba Fett: As you wish...
        That was all he ever said. What Vader never realized was that when Boba said "As you wish" what he was really saying was, "I love you."