Re: [Authentic_SCA] speaking of teaching

  • Carolle M Cox
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1 1:47 PM
      I've not been to Pennsic in decades, and i'm sure the mix there has changed.
      The big question is - how many newer folks go to this huge war? If you can
      say at least two-classfuls, then go for it! If not, then you may be
      disappointed.
      YMMV, naturally.

      Gerita
    • Kate Jones
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1 4:54 PM
        Alianor sez:

        > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
        > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
        > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
        > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
        > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
        > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
        > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

        I think it'd be a grand idea...very useful and I do believe people
        would go. Plus, a class like this that's aimed more at new people will
        help recruit more of them for our ranks... ;)

        Kat'ryna
        --
        Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
        kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2 6:10 AM
          Alianor,

          Last year I taught a class on Period style tunics. I expected at best
          8 people really, planning to see just 3 or 4. I had a class of 20.

          I had extant examples and Kass' instuctions (Her permission of
          course) I also included in the folder swatches of fabric. What is
          correct for period vs incorrect. I pulled illuminations from the web
          to show examples of tunics from the 6th to 15th century. I even
          picked some that showed trim as well as plain.

          In my class I discussed not just construction the fabrics and why and
          the use of store bought trim. What's good and bad.

          I've had several requests for the hand out since. So please teach the
          class people and not just beginners are REALLY interested.
          - Brynn

          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
          > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate
          Tunics for
          > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there
          be
          > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
          > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a
          handout with
          > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
          > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put
          together a
          > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did
          so.)

          > Pondering,
          > Alianor
          >
          > Sarah Michele Ford
          > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
          > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
          > reality is but an exception.
          > --Jean Baudrillard
          > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2 6:24 AM
            So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery, or what?

            Thanks,
            Smiles,
            Despina
          • ladybrynn
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2 9:22 AM
              Embroidery. Definately.
              I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.

              You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
              like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
              thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
              which is used.

              - Brynn

              > So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery,
              or what?

              > Thanks,
              > Smiles,
              > Despina
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3 6:40 AM
                At 05:22 PM 4/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                >Embroidery. Definately.
                >I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.
                >
                >You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                >like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                >thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                >which is used.

                Cool. Thanks.

                Smiles,
                Despina de la up to something......
              • ladybrynn
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3 7:40 AM
                  Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.
                  I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                  Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                  period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                  in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                  design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                  just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                  giving it away).

                  - Brynn

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3 7:46 AM
                    At 03:40 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.

                    Muhahahaha.... er, I mean, why would I scare you? *grin*

                    >I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                    >Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                    >period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                    >in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                    >design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                    >just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                    >giving it away).

                    SOunds beautiful and yes, you must take pictures before you give it away.

                    I'm trying to get some of the embroidery for an outfit that is to be worn
                    on April 13 done. I figure if I can get the main part of the couching done
                    and sew that to the piece, it will look nicer than plain and I can go back
                    and finish the design in the two weeks before it is to be worn again.

                    It's the Hungarian vine thing that I was talking about before. So far it's
                    going very well. I do still have to actually sew the collar to the garment
                    though - no embroidery, just me being lazy. *sheepish grin*

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • demontsegur
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3 8:42 AM
                      Despina and other Midrealmers...

                      It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                      with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                      this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                      gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                      is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                      me, please say hello!

                      Cheers,
                      Marcele
                    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3 8:55 AM
                        At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                        >
                        >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                        >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                        >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                        >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                        >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                        >me, please say hello!

                        Cool! I'll be wearing a rust colored dress with green trim as well as
                        either a white linen hat or a black snood. Bogdan will be wearing
                        something simply stunning in blue and silver silk with a linen shirt, as
                        well as a spiff hat - fur, if I can get it done in time. *grin* (barring
                        the really spiff outfit, he'll be wearing a light green kaftan with a blue
                        hat).

                        Smiles,
                        Despina de la will keep my eyes peeled for you
                      • Sarah Michele Ford
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3 9:02 AM
                          On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, ladybrynn wrote:

                          > I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                          > Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                          > period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                          > in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                          > design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                          > just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                          > giving it away).

                          Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                          couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of embroidery
                          on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for inspiration.
                          ;^)

                          Alianor

                          Sarah Michele Ford
                          /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 3 9:11 AM
                            Thanks. I'll post them to the list, once I figure out how my
                            daughters digital camera works.
                            I want to do trim for a cloak in that same style. It will be come my
                            take to every event project, since I know it will take some time to
                            complete, but court can be long and my hands hate to be idle. Plus I
                            don't have to count when I do that form of embroidery. ;)

                            - Brynn

                            > Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                            > couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of
                            embroidery
                            > on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for
                            inspiration.
                            > ;^)
                            >
                            > Alianor
                            >
                            > Sarah Michele Ford
                            > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                            > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                            > reality is but an exception.
                            > --Jean Baudrillard
                            > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                          • Gwendoline Rosamond
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 3 3:54 PM
                              At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                              >
                              >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                              >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                              >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                              >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                              >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                              >me, please say hello!
                              >
                              >Cheers,
                              >Marcele

                              Greetings,

                              I'm planning to be there as well. I look forward to meeting you.

                              I have no idea what I will be wearing though... I'm 5'10" with blond hair,
                              wear black & silver glasses and have a gold nose ring... That should make
                              me at least vaguely findable... : ) Oh, and my lord will most likely be
                              fighting as well so if you can find Zadok, you can find me.

                              Cheers,
                              Gwendoline