Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re:Talented until proven guilty

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

      > > And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it
      > > for next year.
      > Really? What sort of performance are you interested in
      > doing?

      Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music (suggestions? <nudge
      nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with any regularity in
      years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.

      > > I think the "we're all friends" things works both
      > > ways - we maybe feel
      > > more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively)
      > > freindly environment,
      > > but we're also more likely to be supportive of even
      > > not-so-great
      > > performances because we can see ourselves perhaps
      > > someday being there or
      > > have already been there ourselves.
      > Support yes, I'm not so certain about criticism - some
      > people can accept it, learn from it and grow in their
      > art. Some people just want you to praise them and will
      > get offended if you critique their work. Gotta be
      > careful with that.

      Heh, yeah. As opposed to me, who took my stuff to NL for the express
      purpose of being told what was wrong with it, 'cause I hadn't gotten much
      constructive criticism locally.

      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      reality is but an exception.
      --Jean Baudrillard
      \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
        > Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music
        > (suggestions? <nudge
        > nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with
        > any regularity in
        > years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.
        Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
        for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
        they've got a decent selection.

        Jehanne

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • Sarah Michele Ford
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
          On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

          > Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
          > for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
          > they've got a decent selection.

          Looks quite promising, thanks for the tip! Not too expensive,
          either. Now if only I knew if I should be getting "easy" or "medium" or
          "advanced" music... ;^)

          Alianor

          Sarah Michele Ford
          /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
          Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
          reality is but an exception.
          --Jean Baudrillard
          \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
        • maud_de_clayton
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...>
            wrote:
            > > Dang! Sorry I missed it! I mentioned to a couple people I know
            that
            > > you play a hurdygurdy, and they were mightily impressed. ;-)
            >
            > Meant to respond to this earlier, and got sidetracked. How do they
            > know that I'm any GOOD at playing a hurdy gurdy? For that matter,
            > Maud, how do you know? You've never actually heard me produce a
            note
            > of music. ;-> I talk the talk, but do you really know if I walk the
            > walk?

            How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
            sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D

            Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy can't
            get any notes out of it. Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the
            talk" so well, you give the appearance of knowing something about
            music. So I'll stick by my judgment. ;-)

            Maud
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...> wrote:

              > How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
              > sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D
              Or a choir of drunken bees.... ;->

              > Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy
              > can't get any notes out of it.
              There have been times when those bees just don't want to cooperate! I
              spend as much time tinkering with that box as playing it - though
              switching from powdered to solid rosin has helped, as has the
              relatively low (as opposed to the "swamps of Jersey") humidity. [Sir
              Gaston and I have been chatting via e-mail as he's trying to build
              one and we've gone off in all sorts of fascinating tangents, pun
              intended, as we try to figure out just how musical instruments work.]

              > Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the talk" so well, you give
              > the appearance of knowing something about music. So I'll stick by
              > my judgment. ;-)
              Well, I've been trying to do my homework. I'm about a third of the
              way through the "Antiquity and the Middle Ages" volume in the Music
              and Society Series. Music theory has not been my strong suit, so this
              sort of thing really IS homework.

              Sounds like London was wonderful. For good or ill, I was there three
              times - all before I'd ever discovered the SCA. When I think of the
              damage I could've done at the British Library alone....

              Welcome back,
              Jehanne