Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re:Talented until proven guilty

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
      > Hrm... that part I don't know about. Maybe it's
      > more likely in bardic arts because they're so much
      > more ... associated with the creator/performer.
      Don't know. It's pretty difficult to argue with the
      qualities of something as tangible as a scroll or
      blackworked coif. Performance is ephemeral, perhaps
      that's why people are giving me the benefit of the
      doubt. ;->

      > And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it
      > for next year.
      Really? What sort of performance are you interested in
      doing?

      > I think the "we're all friends" things works both
      > ways - we maybe feel
      > more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively)
      > freindly environment,
      > but we're also more likely to be supportive of even
      > not-so-great
      > performances because we can see ourselves perhaps
      > someday being there or
      > have already been there ourselves.
      Support yes, I'm not so certain about criticism - some
      people can accept it, learn from it and grow in their
      art. Some people just want you to praise them and will
      get offended if you critique their work. Gotta be
      careful with that.

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

        > > And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it
        > > for next year.
        > Really? What sort of performance are you interested in
        > doing?

        Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music (suggestions? <nudge
        nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with any regularity in
        years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.

        > > I think the "we're all friends" things works both
        > > ways - we maybe feel
        > > more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively)
        > > freindly environment,
        > > but we're also more likely to be supportive of even
        > > not-so-great
        > > performances because we can see ourselves perhaps
        > > someday being there or
        > > have already been there ourselves.
        > Support yes, I'm not so certain about criticism - some
        > people can accept it, learn from it and grow in their
        > art. Some people just want you to praise them and will
        > get offended if you critique their work. Gotta be
        > careful with that.

        Heh, yeah. As opposed to me, who took my stuff to NL for the express
        purpose of being told what was wrong with it, 'cause I hadn't gotten much
        constructive criticism locally.

        Alianor

        Sarah Michele Ford
        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
        Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
        reality is but an exception.
        --Jean Baudrillard
        \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
          --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
          > Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music
          > (suggestions? <nudge
          > nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with
          > any regularity in
          > years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.
          Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
          for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
          they've got a decent selection.

          Jehanne

          =====

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
            On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

            > Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
            > for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
            > they've got a decent selection.

            Looks quite promising, thanks for the tip! Not too expensive,
            either. Now if only I knew if I should be getting "easy" or "medium" or
            "advanced" music... ;^)

            Alianor

            Sarah Michele Ford
            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
            Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
            reality is but an exception.
            --Jean Baudrillard
            \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
          • maud_de_clayton
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
              > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...>
              wrote:
              > > Dang! Sorry I missed it! I mentioned to a couple people I know
              that
              > > you play a hurdygurdy, and they were mightily impressed. ;-)
              >
              > Meant to respond to this earlier, and got sidetracked. How do they
              > know that I'm any GOOD at playing a hurdy gurdy? For that matter,
              > Maud, how do you know? You've never actually heard me produce a
              note
              > of music. ;-> I talk the talk, but do you really know if I walk the
              > walk?

              How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
              sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D

              Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy can't
              get any notes out of it. Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the
              talk" so well, you give the appearance of knowing something about
              music. So I'll stick by my judgment. ;-)

              Maud
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...> wrote:

                > How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
                > sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D
                Or a choir of drunken bees.... ;->

                > Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy
                > can't get any notes out of it.
                There have been times when those bees just don't want to cooperate! I
                spend as much time tinkering with that box as playing it - though
                switching from powdered to solid rosin has helped, as has the
                relatively low (as opposed to the "swamps of Jersey") humidity. [Sir
                Gaston and I have been chatting via e-mail as he's trying to build
                one and we've gone off in all sorts of fascinating tangents, pun
                intended, as we try to figure out just how musical instruments work.]

                > Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the talk" so well, you give
                > the appearance of knowing something about music. So I'll stick by
                > my judgment. ;-)
                Well, I've been trying to do my homework. I'm about a third of the
                way through the "Antiquity and the Middle Ages" volume in the Music
                and Society Series. Music theory has not been my strong suit, so this
                sort of thing really IS homework.

                Sounds like London was wonderful. For good or ill, I was there three
                times - all before I'd ever discovered the SCA. When I think of the
                damage I could've done at the British Library alone....

                Welcome back,
                Jehanne