Re: [Authentic_SCA] speaking of teaching

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1 10:35 AM
      At 01:36 PM 4/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
      >classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
      >That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
      >be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).
      >
      >Effingham

      And Effingham slogs his way out from beneath the pile of books to make yet
      another great suggestion! *grin*

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Anthony J. Bryant
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1 10:36 AM
        "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

        > At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
        > >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
        > >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
        > >enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
        > >basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
        > >step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
        > >entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
        > >perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)
        >
        > You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
        > name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
        > says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
        > English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
        > to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
        > off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
        > in the ways of the needle.

        Good point.

        How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
        classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
        That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
        be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).

        Effingham
      • Carolle M Cox
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1 1:47 PM
          I've not been to Pennsic in decades, and i'm sure the mix there has changed.
          The big question is - how many newer folks go to this huge war? If you can
          say at least two-classfuls, then go for it! If not, then you may be
          disappointed.
          YMMV, naturally.

          Gerita
        • Kate Jones
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1 4:54 PM
            Alianor sez:

            > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
            > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
            > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
            > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
            > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
            > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
            > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

            I think it'd be a grand idea...very useful and I do believe people
            would go. Plus, a class like this that's aimed more at new people will
            help recruit more of them for our ranks... ;)

            Kat'ryna
            --
            Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
            kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2 6:10 AM
              Alianor,

              Last year I taught a class on Period style tunics. I expected at best
              8 people really, planning to see just 3 or 4. I had a class of 20.

              I had extant examples and Kass' instuctions (Her permission of
              course) I also included in the folder swatches of fabric. What is
              correct for period vs incorrect. I pulled illuminations from the web
              to show examples of tunics from the 6th to 15th century. I even
              picked some that showed trim as well as plain.

              In my class I discussed not just construction the fabrics and why and
              the use of store bought trim. What's good and bad.

              I've had several requests for the hand out since. So please teach the
              class people and not just beginners are REALLY interested.
              - Brynn

              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
              > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate
              Tunics for
              > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there
              be
              > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
              > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a
              handout with
              > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
              > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put
              together a
              > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did
              so.)

              > Pondering,
              > Alianor
              >
              > Sarah Michele Ford
              > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
              > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
              > reality is but an exception.
              > --Jean Baudrillard
              > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2 6:24 AM
                So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery, or what?

                Thanks,
                Smiles,
                Despina
              • ladybrynn
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2 9:22 AM
                  Embroidery. Definately.
                  I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.

                  You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                  like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                  thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                  which is used.

                  - Brynn

                  > So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery,
                  or what?

                  > Thanks,
                  > Smiles,
                  > Despina
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3 6:40 AM
                    At 05:22 PM 4/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Embroidery. Definately.
                    >I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.
                    >
                    >You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                    >like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                    >thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                    >which is used.

                    Cool. Thanks.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina de la up to something......
                  • ladybrynn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3 7:40 AM
                      Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.
                      I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                      Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                      period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                      in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                      design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                      just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                      giving it away).

                      - Brynn

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3 7:46 AM
                        At 03:40 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.

                        Muhahahaha.... er, I mean, why would I scare you? *grin*

                        >I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                        >Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                        >period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                        >in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                        >design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                        >just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                        >giving it away).

                        SOunds beautiful and yes, you must take pictures before you give it away.

                        I'm trying to get some of the embroidery for an outfit that is to be worn
                        on April 13 done. I figure if I can get the main part of the couching done
                        and sew that to the piece, it will look nicer than plain and I can go back
                        and finish the design in the two weeks before it is to be worn again.

                        It's the Hungarian vine thing that I was talking about before. So far it's
                        going very well. I do still have to actually sew the collar to the garment
                        though - no embroidery, just me being lazy. *sheepish grin*

                        Smiles,
                        Despina
                      • demontsegur
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3 8:42 AM
                          Despina and other Midrealmers...

                          It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                          with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                          this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                          gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                          is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                          me, please say hello!

                          Cheers,
                          Marcele
                        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 3 8:55 AM
                            At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                            >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                            >
                            >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                            >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                            >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                            >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                            >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                            >me, please say hello!

                            Cool! I'll be wearing a rust colored dress with green trim as well as
                            either a white linen hat or a black snood. Bogdan will be wearing
                            something simply stunning in blue and silver silk with a linen shirt, as
                            well as a spiff hat - fur, if I can get it done in time. *grin* (barring
                            the really spiff outfit, he'll be wearing a light green kaftan with a blue
                            hat).

                            Smiles,
                            Despina de la will keep my eyes peeled for you
                          • Sarah Michele Ford
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 3 9:02 AM
                              On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, ladybrynn wrote:

                              > I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                              > Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                              > period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                              > in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                              > design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                              > just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                              > giving it away).

                              Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                              couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of embroidery
                              on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for inspiration.
                              ;^)

                              Alianor

                              Sarah Michele Ford
                              /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 3 9:11 AM
                                Thanks. I'll post them to the list, once I figure out how my
                                daughters digital camera works.
                                I want to do trim for a cloak in that same style. It will be come my
                                take to every event project, since I know it will take some time to
                                complete, but court can be long and my hands hate to be idle. Plus I
                                don't have to count when I do that form of embroidery. ;)

                                - Brynn

                                > Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                                > couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of
                                embroidery
                                > on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for
                                inspiration.
                                > ;^)
                                >
                                > Alianor
                                >
                                > Sarah Michele Ford
                                > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                                > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                                > reality is but an exception.
                                > --Jean Baudrillard
                                > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                              • Gwendoline Rosamond
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 3 3:54 PM
                                  At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                                  >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                                  >
                                  >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                                  >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                                  >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                                  >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                                  >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                                  >me, please say hello!
                                  >
                                  >Cheers,
                                  >Marcele

                                  Greetings,

                                  I'm planning to be there as well. I look forward to meeting you.

                                  I have no idea what I will be wearing though... I'm 5'10" with blond hair,
                                  wear black & silver glasses and have a gold nose ring... That should make
                                  me at least vaguely findable... : ) Oh, and my lord will most likely be
                                  fighting as well so if you can find Zadok, you can find me.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Gwendoline