Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re:Talented until proven guilty

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
      > I'd say that it's not just a bardic thing - look at
      > how people with
      > various awards are encouraged to bring tokens to A&S
      > competitions to give
      > to entries that particularly impress them.
      OK, that's true. I'm curious, however, as to whether
      the "talented until proven guilty" phenomenon applies
      to the other arts and sciences?

      > Getting people who are nervous to perform
      > facilitates the teaching aspect.
      True, and one of the best things about attempting a
      performance art in the SCA.

      > Plus we're all supposed to be friends, right? ;^P
      Can you critique your friends? Or strangers? I had to
      judge two performances on the subject of Lochac's
      becoming a kingdom last week. I remember scribbling
      "simple does not equal period" on the judging sheet
      for the one entrant, who did a multi-verse, eminently
      singable song with a refrain one could get the
      audience to join in on - and whose idea of
      documentation was a statement that rhymed verse was
      period. I also wrote, "Breathe, smile, you can do
      this" because the entrant buried her nose in her copy,
      didn't dare make eye contact and did this wincy little
      "I suck, I'm sorry you had to sit through that"
      curtsey when we applauded. I would've liked to have
      collared her for a pep talk afterward, but she
      vanished. Oh well....

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

        > --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
        > > I'd say that it's not just a bardic thing - look at
        > > how people with
        > > various awards are encouraged to bring tokens to A&S
        > > competitions to give
        > > to entries that particularly impress them.
        > OK, that's true. I'm curious, however, as to whether
        > the "talented until proven guilty" phenomenon applies
        > to the other arts and sciences?

        Hrm... that part I don't know about. Maybe it's more likely in bardic
        arts because they're so much more ... associated with the
        creator/performer.

        > > Getting people who are nervous to perform
        > > facilitates the teaching aspect.
        > True, and one of the best things about attempting a
        > performance art in the SCA.

        And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it for next year. Well,
        that and Henry opening his big mouth about a 12-category challenge for
        NLXII.

        > > Plus we're all supposed to be friends, right? ;^P
        > Can you critique your friends? Or strangers? I had to
        > judge two performances on the subject of Lochac's
        > becoming a kingdom last week. I remember scribbling
        > "simple does not equal period" on the judging sheet
        > for the one entrant, who did a multi-verse, eminently
        > singable song with a refrain one could get the
        > audience to join in on - and whose idea of
        > documentation was a statement that rhymed verse was
        > period. I also wrote, "Breathe, smile, you can do
        > this" because the entrant buried her nose in her copy,
        > didn't dare make eye contact and did this wincy little
        > "I suck, I'm sorry you had to sit through that"
        > curtsey when we applauded. I would've liked to have
        > collared her for a pep talk afterward, but she
        > vanished. Oh well....

        I think the "we're all friends" things works both ways - we maybe feel
        more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively) freindly environment,
        but we're also more likely to be supportive of even not-so-great
        performances because we can see ourselves perhaps someday being there or
        have already been there ourselves.

        And now I seem to be rambling. ;^)

        Alianor

        Sarah Michele Ford
        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
        Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
        reality is but an exception.
        --Jean Baudrillard
        \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
          --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
          > Hrm... that part I don't know about. Maybe it's
          > more likely in bardic arts because they're so much
          > more ... associated with the creator/performer.
          Don't know. It's pretty difficult to argue with the
          qualities of something as tangible as a scroll or
          blackworked coif. Performance is ephemeral, perhaps
          that's why people are giving me the benefit of the
          doubt. ;->

          > And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it
          > for next year.
          Really? What sort of performance are you interested in
          doing?

          > I think the "we're all friends" things works both
          > ways - we maybe feel
          > more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively)
          > freindly environment,
          > but we're also more likely to be supportive of even
          > not-so-great
          > performances because we can see ourselves perhaps
          > someday being there or
          > have already been there ourselves.
          Support yes, I'm not so certain about criticism - some
          people can accept it, learn from it and grow in their
          art. Some people just want you to praise them and will
          get offended if you critique their work. Gotta be
          careful with that.

          Jehanne

          =====

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
            On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

            > > And one of the only reasons I'm even considering it
            > > for next year.
            > Really? What sort of performance are you interested in
            > doing?

            Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music (suggestions? <nudge
            nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with any regularity in
            years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.

            > > I think the "we're all friends" things works both
            > > ways - we maybe feel
            > > more welcome to critique because it's a (relatively)
            > > freindly environment,
            > > but we're also more likely to be supportive of even
            > > not-so-great
            > > performances because we can see ourselves perhaps
            > > someday being there or
            > > have already been there ourselves.
            > Support yes, I'm not so certain about criticism - some
            > people can accept it, learn from it and grow in their
            > art. Some people just want you to praise them and will
            > get offended if you critique their work. Gotta be
            > careful with that.

            Heh, yeah. As opposed to me, who took my stuff to NL for the express
            purpose of being told what was wrong with it, 'cause I hadn't gotten much
            constructive criticism locally.

            Alianor

            Sarah Michele Ford
            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
              --- Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...> wrote:
              > Playin' my recorder. I need to scope some music
              > (suggestions? <nudge
              > nudge>) and get to practicing, since I haven't with
              > any regularity in
              > years. LIke I said, it's all Henry's fault.
              Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
              for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
              they've got a decent selection.

              Jehanne

              =====

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, L Joseph wrote:

                > Try http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Music.html
                > for sheet music specifically for recorder. I hear
                > they've got a decent selection.

                Looks quite promising, thanks for the tip! Not too expensive,
                either. Now if only I knew if I should be getting "easy" or "medium" or
                "advanced" music... ;^)

                Alianor

                Sarah Michele Ford
                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                reality is but an exception.
                --Jean Baudrillard
                \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
              • maud_de_clayton
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Dang! Sorry I missed it! I mentioned to a couple people I know
                  that
                  > > you play a hurdygurdy, and they were mightily impressed. ;-)
                  >
                  > Meant to respond to this earlier, and got sidetracked. How do they
                  > know that I'm any GOOD at playing a hurdy gurdy? For that matter,
                  > Maud, how do you know? You've never actually heard me produce a
                  note
                  > of music. ;-> I talk the talk, but do you really know if I walk the
                  > walk?

                  How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
                  sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D

                  Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy can't
                  get any notes out of it. Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the
                  talk" so well, you give the appearance of knowing something about
                  music. So I'll stick by my judgment. ;-)

                  Maud
                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 8, 2002
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...> wrote:

                    > How can one tell if a hurdy-gurdy is being played badly? It all
                    > sounds like somebody torturing a cat to me. 8-D
                    Or a choir of drunken bees.... ;->

                    > Seriously though, IIRC, somebody that can't play a hurdy-gurdy
                    > can't get any notes out of it.
                    There have been times when those bees just don't want to cooperate! I
                    spend as much time tinkering with that box as playing it - though
                    switching from powdered to solid rosin has helped, as has the
                    relatively low (as opposed to the "swamps of Jersey") humidity. [Sir
                    Gaston and I have been chatting via e-mail as he's trying to build
                    one and we've gone off in all sorts of fascinating tangents, pun
                    intended, as we try to figure out just how musical instruments work.]

                    > Besides, you seem to be able to "talk the talk" so well, you give
                    > the appearance of knowing something about music. So I'll stick by
                    > my judgment. ;-)
                    Well, I've been trying to do my homework. I'm about a third of the
                    way through the "Antiquity and the Middle Ages" volume in the Music
                    and Society Series. Music theory has not been my strong suit, so this
                    sort of thing really IS homework.

                    Sounds like London was wonderful. For good or ill, I was there three
                    times - all before I'd ever discovered the SCA. When I think of the
                    damage I could've done at the British Library alone....

                    Welcome back,
                    Jehanne